cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New DEV environment build

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've got a 15T production system. Due to some reasons, we must build a NEW development which has exactly same ABAP/configuration. The project team do not need any tractional data in new DEV.

1) Can we use TDMS to realise this? We just keep ABAP repository and configuration sync between new DEV & existing PRD system. I know client copy can just copy customizing, but not the DDIC.

2) In addition, we may need some master data in DEV, I know SAP MDM can be used. I want to know can TDMS be used for this?

Thanks

James

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You will need to do the following to achieve what you want -

Step 1> Do a TDMS shell transfer from your 15TB production system to your new DEV system, this will copy the entire repository, and client independent customizing. So all your non-application data i.e. non-client dependent data will be transferred. You will need to plan around 7 to 10 days for this.

Step 2> Run a TDMS master data and customizing (TDMDC) package from prod to Dev for the relevant client to transfer all your master data. You will need to plan another 7 to 10 days for this activity.

I hope the above response helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Step 2> Run a TDMS master data and customizing (TDMDC) package from prod to Dev for the relevant client to transfer all your master data. You will need to plan another 7 to 10 days for this activity.

Assume PRD is running and we can not shut it down during TDMDC data extraction, we can copy PRD to Pre-Prod first (HDD flash copy) then extract master data from Pre-Prod to DEV. My question is: can we keep master data delta sync betwee PRD and DEV after TDMDC data extraction? If no, is there any other option?

TIA,

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all you dont need to shut down your production to run TDMDC package. It may be executed when your production is up and running, only thing you need to take care is that an important step of the package - Data selection is carried out at a time when the system gets the least insert/update hits (read hits are fine).

Within TDMS there is no option to keep the data in sync between PRD and DEV. As of now i do not think there is a full proof solution even outside TDMS to do the same. Also functionally this requirement should not be a must one.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182566
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just my two cents:

After the shell creation, If you only want to copy some master data, you may want to try Business Process Library (and yes, BPL is also part of TDMS). BPL will allow you to copy selected materials, customers, vendores, etc, or create your own scenarios if they don't come in the standard.

By the way, I don't have experience with a 15Tb system, but I would say that 7 to 10 days is way too much for a Shell transfer; in that case you're ot copying application data, so system size is not really relevant, right?

I am assuming, of course, it is done by someone who knows what he is doing, and not by someone spending the first 6 days learning how TDMS works..

Rui Dantas

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You cannot copy workbench with TDMS.

But you can make system with same workbench using TDMS Shell creation method.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

TDMS Shell creation is still part of TDMS, right? How long will it take to extract this environment?

Assume total 1T after the shell clone.