Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing vs Configuration

former_member215786
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts.

I am searching a book of Employee and Manager Self-Service, however I found in the page of sap press a book called Configuration & Customizing Employee and Manager Self-Service of the guru Martin Guillet.

My question is:

What is diference between Configuration & Customizing?

I am of language Spanish but I don't understand this two terms.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hmm these two terms are used pretty much arbitrarily, so let me take an example and try to explain:

1. example wagetypes are provided by sap for payroll, if you copy them and use the copied wagetypes as-is it could be called as config. however if you change the properties of the copied wagetypes to make them work in conjunction with your clients' requirements then it could potentially be customizing. However there are views that treat both scenarios I mentioned ass config only.

2. now for an example closer to ess/mss: in std sap mss is based on chief position holder (via oadp) now if the client has managers based on chief positions as well as the line-manager relationships (a/b-002) mss will not work for the line managers, out-of-the-box, and you will have to do some oadp fine-tuning ... that fine tuning is something that can be called as customization.

To conclude: there is no easy way to differentiate between these two terms and they can be used inter-changeably ....

Well mate thats about it,.. hope it helps...

ciao

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To get the most out of the self-service offerings within SAP ERP HCM, you need to know how to effectively configure and customize the tools. With this detailed guide, youu2019ll find all of the information you need to for customizing Employee Self-Services (ESS), Manager Self- Services (MSS), and the Share Services Center (SCC). Youu2019ll learn everything about the standard u201Cout of the boxu201D configuration, from the early release with ITS services to the latest Web Dynpro offering in ERP 6.0. And with this knowledge, youu2019ll be ready to set up and customize these services to meet your specific business needs.

With "Configuration" he means configuring the standard out-of-the-box stuff to have the ESS/MSS work as delivered by SAP.

He is using the term "Customizing" as a general term here - adjusting the standard to your needs. I don't know the book but I guess this will conclude the IMG service-specific adjustments, Homepage Framework and the like.

This should clear things out

best regards, Lukas