Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Customizing vs Configuration

Dear Experts.

I am searching a book of Employee and Manager Self-Service, however I found in the page of sap press a book called Configuration & Customizing Employee and Manager Self-Service of the guru Martin Guillet.

My question is:

What is diference between Configuration & Customizing?

I am of language Spanish but I don't understand this two terms.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Former Member
Former Member replied

hmm these two terms are used pretty much arbitrarily, so let me take an example and try to explain:

1. example wagetypes are provided by sap for payroll, if you copy them and use the copied wagetypes as-is it could be called as config. however if you change the properties of the copied wagetypes to make them work in conjunction with your clients' requirements then it could potentially be customizing. However there are views that treat both scenarios I mentioned *** config only.

2. now for an example closer to ess/mss: in std sap mss is based on chief position holder (via oadp) now if the client has managers based on chief positions as well as the line-manager relationships (a/b-002) mss will not work for the line managers, out-of-the-box, and you will have to do some oadp fine-tuning ... that fine tuning is something that can be called as customization.

To conclude: there is no easy way to differentiate between these two terms and they can be used inter-changeably ....

Well mate thats about it,.. hope it helps...

ciao

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question