Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PCo, OLEDB Source Error

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I'm trying to start a PCo agent using a OLEDB connection and I'm getting the following error. All the "Connection Check" buttons (At ODBC DSN and at PCo) says the connection is OK.

At PCo, I have created the OLEDB source and selected the default provider, there is no .Net Framework Data Provider for ODBC on the list.

Any suggestion? I didn't even find where to download this .Net Framework Data Provider for ODBC.

26/5/2011 14:24:04,.,1,2244,Teste,Error,Host,failed to create ConnectivityAgentProxy,"General PCo Fault: The .Net Framework Data Provider for OLEDB (System.Data.OleDb) does not support the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (MSDASQL). Use the .Net Framework Data Provider for ODBC (System.Data.Odbc).

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manoel,

Could you please give more details as to what you are trying to connect to? The default driver may not be the correct one.

Also, what version of PCo are you using?

Kind Regards,

Diana Hoppe

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Diana, first of all, thank you for your response.

I'm using PCo 2.1.0.55 and trying to connect to Aspentech Infoplus 21 using OLEDB/ODBC.

Id like to ask one more question, after PCo connects succesfuly with IP21, which connector should I use in SAP MII 12.1 to query tags from IP21 via PCo? JDBC, OLEDB, UDC...?!?!

Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoel

This post maybe of help, even though it applies to the UDS (Universal Data Servers)

[;

I believe you need the AspenTech SQl PLus driver. In MII I believe you would use the IP21OLEDB type connection.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Kind Regards,

Diana

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Diana,

The AspenTech SQl PLus driver is already installed on PCo server (See below).

http://img204.imageshack.us/i/capturadetela20110527s1.png/

http://img546.imageshack.us/i/capturadetela20110527s1.png/

http://img847.imageshack.us/i/capturadetela20110527s1.png/

http://img24.imageshack.us/i/capturadetela20110527s1.png/

The problem is happening when I try to start the PCo Agent and the log I mentioned in the thread is inside PCo.

As the attachments show, I already have AspenTech SQl PLus driver installed and the ODBC is created using it. My concern is that PCo is saying that I should created the OLEDB data source using a driver that is not in the list (it says I should use Net Framework Data Provider for OLEDB).

I'm trying to reinstall MDAC 2.8 right now, as a test.

Any more suggestion?

Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manoel,

What version of the .NET Framework do you have installed? The PCo install guide says that

Before installing PCo, you must install Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1. For more information, see www.microsoft.com.

After some googling, I see that version 1.0 of the .NET framework does not include support for ODBC.

Kind Regards,

Diana Hoppe

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I have the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 installed, however, I can see some trace of .NET Framework 1.0 in the windows menu. Don't know if this is impacting somehow.

http://img225.imageshack.us/i/capturadetela20110527s1.png/

http://img268.imageshack.us/i/capturadetela20110527s1.png/

Regarding MDAC. I read in the PCo install guide that to use OLEDB we must instal MDAC. In the Windows registry I can see the MDAC version 2.8.2 but nobody installed it. I think it comes installed with windows server. As I can find entries in the windows registry, I didnt reinstalled it but I really don't know if this MDAC is really installed or if it's the correct version.

I found a link to download MDAC at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=78cac895-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e but the downloaded file do not run in the server, I got the error: "This setup does not support installing on this operating system." Its a Win2003 Server SP2.

Do you think MDAC can be the problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manoel,

I also see the same .Net Framework entries in the menu, so i don't think it's that. At this point, I think the best course of action is to log a ticket to the MFG-PCO component in the SAP Support system and let their experts help you.

Also, I would consider upgrading to the latest 2.1 patch (I believe it is 5, sap note 1552442).

I'm sorry I could not help solve this for you.

Kind Regards,

Diana Hoppe

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Diana,

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I will log a ticket and post here the solution as soon as I figure it out.

Kind Regards,

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Diana,

While our support ticket is in analysis, can you provide fresh information on how to use IP21OLEDB data source type to connect to InfoPlus21 using OLEDB?

Thank you so much,

Manoel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoel,

I have seen the IP21OLEDB data source type used with the 4.0 SAP MII Universal Data Servers (UDS). After connecting to IP21 through the UDS, the IP21OLEDB data source type requires the following: a name, the IP address of the machine in which the UDS is installed (localhost if the same machine), a port number (the same port number configured in the UDS) and the Enabled checkbox selected.

The IP21OLEDB data source type has preconfigured queries which I believe makes it similar to querying a tag database. I have not seen an IP21 oledb connection through PCo, but I know that the appropriate driver must be used.

Kind Regards,

Diana

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Diana,

Ok, I will give a try on IP21OLEDB with UDS.

Let me ask you another question... PCo using an OLEDB connection will be able to monitor tags and trigger alerts just like if it was a DA or HDA connection? or using OLEDB I will not be able to monitor tags and trigger alerts?

Thank you so much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoel:

OLEDB does not support notification, so you will need to monitor IP21 using MII queries.

Regards

Chris Carney

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Christopher, thank you for your reply. Can you just confirm wich connectors support notification? Only DA and/or HDA?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoel:

The agents for OPC DA, OPC HDA, OPC A&E, OPC UA, OSISoft PI, and GE Proficy all support notification. PCo requires that the third party data source support the ability to notify (often called "advise") PCo of a data change which is why all the tag based agents suppot notify.

OLEDB does not support advise, so PCo can not generate notifications.

Regards

Chris

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thank you Christopher!

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Diana,

When trying to connect UDS to IP21 using the "xMII OLE DB UDS" server type in UDS, I'm getting the following error:

• Start of Exception Stack Trace **********

1) [06/09/2011-10:47:05.374] OLEDBTU [P:3268, T:5580, UDS, ] 0x0 HRESULT: 0x80004005 [[AspenTech][SQLplus] SQLplus Access Denied - No read access] [Connection.cpp @ 85, COleDbConnection::FinalInitialize]

2) [06/09/2011-10:47:05.374] OLEDBTU [P:3268, T:5580, UDS, RETHROW] 0x0 Rethrowing exception. [Connection.cpp @ 111, COleDbConnection::FinalInitialize]

3) [06/09/2011-10:47:05.374] OLEDBTU [P:3268, T:5580, UDS, RETHROW] 0x0 Rethrowing exception over COM. [sqlUtil/lhdsBasicConnection.h @ 290, lhds::LHDSBasicConnectionImpl<class COleDbConnection>::Initialize]

4) [06/09/2011-10:47:05.374] OLEDBTU [P:3268, T:5580, UDS, ] 0x0 Caught exception over a COM boundry. [sqlUtil/lhdsBasicConnectedDs.h @ 65, lhds::LHBasicDataServerImpl<class CLHOleDbDataServer>::InitializeRuntime]

5) [06/09/2011-10:47:05.374] OLEDBTU [P:3268, T:5580, UDS, RETHROW] 0x0 Rethrowing exception over COM. [sqlUtil/lhdsBasicConnectedDs.h @ 100, lhds::LHBasicDataServerImpl<class CLHOleDbDataServer>::InitializeRuntime]

6) [06/09/2011-10:47:05.374] OLEDBTU [P:3268, T:5580, UDS, ] 0x0 Caught exception over a COM boundry. [sqlUtil/lhdsBasicConnectedDs.h @ 292, lhds::LHBasicDataServerImpl<class CLHOleDbDataServer>::Initialize]

7) [06/09/2011-10:47:05.374] OLEDBTU [P:3268, T:5580, UDS, RETHROW] 0x0 Rethrowing exception. [sqlUtil/lhdsBasicConnectedDs.h @ 294, lhds::LHBasicDataServerImpl<class CLHOleDbDataServer>::Initialize]

😎 [06/09/2011-10:47:05.374] OLEDBTU [P:3268, T:5580, Host, HANDLED] 0x0 Handled exception. [DataServerThread.cpp @ 117, DataServerThread::SpawnServer]

• End of Exception Trace **************

Do you have any clue of what is wrong?

Until now I do not have a historical connection with IP21 since PCo and UDS return errors.

Thank you in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoel,

Did you look into this error:

[AspenTechSQLplus] SQLplus Access Denied - No read access, sound likes something on the IP21 side. In the UDS Help, there is a section under Data Provider Configuration for AspecTech IP21. When you set up a System DSN for the driver, you have a Test option. There is also a Test Connection option when you configure the UDS. Make sure these are successful.

Is there a user set up on the IP21 system that the UDS will connect through? I know there are properties when you set up the Connection String -> Connection tab for server login information. Also, what permissions does this user have on the IP21 server?

Hopefully these tips will help

Kind Regards,

Diana

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi all, just to update, SAP answered the OSS ticker and suggested us to try to ramp-up PCo 2.2. We are trying to make it happen and when it does, I will update here again.

Thank you all

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ManoelCosta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

SAP replied our OSS ticket suggesting us to try the PCo 2.2 ramp-up version. Our client decided to not participate on this ramp-up and we are will not use PCo in this project.