Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to call a Report executable program from WDA

simadri_sekhar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Actually I want to call a report program which is created by using SE38 from my WDA application. Bcoz I have established a relation between 11 tables inside the report program using SE38 and I want to use that relation between the tables inside my WDA. Both WDA application and report program are inside same package.

Can anyone suggest me how to do that...??

Thanks in advance.

Sekhar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

simadri_sekhar
Participant
0 Kudos

thanks..all for your reply

simadri_sekhar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

sorry for replying late. Actually I want to update data in a table through assistance class. So i made a button with name "Update" when user'll click the button the method inside assistance class is called along with some importing parameters from the event method. But the problem is that inside method we can't use TABLES statement . so how can I update the table inside method without using table statement because without tables statement it shows error as the field is unknown.

please help in this regard.

Thanks,

sekhar

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

why not define a table type and make a changing parameter in your method with it? That's pretty much the same as "tables" which you are not allowed to use.

regards, Lukas

simadri_sekhar
Participant
0 Kudos

hi lukas,

sorry for that cross post. actually i created a relationship among 11 tables in one report program . through WDA I want to pass some parameters to the assistance class and inside assistance method (method inside the assistance class) I tried to update the tables by calling the report program using SUBMIT keyword.

I found the data is passed corectly and inside report program also the value is changed but when coming to update the table it shows runtime error.. I think my scenario is clear to you now.

hope you can understand my point. And the method you suggest, I can't understand that . so if possible can you plz elaborate the method..

Thanks in advance.

sekhar

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

If you need interaction and data transfer between the program and the WDA, you should consider rewritting the program as a class. This is a much better approach. You can call a program using submit report, but the ability to pass data back and forth is very limited.

simadri_sekhar
Participant
0 Kudos

hello Thomas,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Actually inside the report program I created the relationship among the 11 tables and insert the values into some database tables. But inside the WDA application I have to use that database table only. so whether its a better option to use SUBMIT REPORT..? Please suggest in this regard..

Thanks,

Sekhar

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I would still suggest a class instead of a report for reusability and general architecutre; however, if you already have it developed and data interaction isn't an issue you can technically do this via the SUBMIT. I would still recommend at least to place the SUBMIT call to the report within a method of the assistance class of the WDA and not directly in a controller method.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sekhar,

there is another way, using the ABAP-Memory ( Thomas might scold me for mentioning this 😜 ).

You can export your data from the executed report into the ABAP memory with a certain ID. Then you define the same structure which has been written to memory in your WD4A-Framework and issue the IMPORT FROM MEMORY command, calling the ID you gave it earlier.

This is kind of the "last resort" you have when you have to pass data between Applications with no point of intersection. Last resort because it's redundant and you should keep your hand off the memory if possible; also it's heresy considering the WD4A-Framework concept 😛

Use Thomas' suggestion considering Classes / Assistance Classes if you can.

regards, Lukas