cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Memory Management on a virtual server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I hope you can help. I am looking into performance issues on a virtual server that hosts 2 SAP instances. The server is on windows 2003. It has 12GB of RAM and 30GB of paging.

PHYS_MEMSIZE on the Dev system is set to 8GB and PHYS_MEMSIZE is set to 12GB on the test system.

SQL has been allocated approximately 5GB of memory.

Through reading posts i have read that the split on the server for memory between SAP and SQL should be 70/30. So by me reckoning SQL should have about 3.5GB and SAP should have about 8GB shared between instances with a little left over for windows.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Emily

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

So the restriction of what is allocated goes on the total memory on the server (RAM + Paging) and not just on the RAM alone?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would configure the parameters so that they fit in the physical RAM and not considering the swap.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. It has been very helpful

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

70/30 is just a rough estimate.

Check where your bottlenecks are and configure accordingly. If you really need 12 GB of RAM for the application server (check e.g. the peak usage in ST02) then you should leave that. If you don't then I'd give the database more RAM. More RAM --> more cache --> less reading --> faster system.

Markus