cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trasnport issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are on PI 7.11 SP6 and use CTS transport to move objects across PI landscape. Our project utilizes a large number of file comm channels. We are using the option "Archive Faulty Source Files" and specify the archive directory.

The problem we face during transport is, this value for the archive directory is lost when the channel is imported into a new environment and hence ativation of the object will fail unless we manually edit it, save it and activate it.

To make the problems worse, SAP has come up with a "feature" that activates the object directly upon import. The import fails because the channel does not have the archive directory value. We have now requested the BASIS team to disable this "auto activation" feature and then do the import.

I am still wondering why would SAP come up with this feature... The User Name/pwd and other attributes are env specific and we are not supposed to activate a channel with incorrect values.

Any one faced this? If so, do you think this feature is useful to you in any way?

Thanks

Jai

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marksmyth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Some of the adapter parameters have a 'nonTransportable' flag set in the metadata. You can check which exact parameters have this value in the file adapter metadata in the ESR, for example: SAP BASIS 7.11 -> http://sap.com/xi/XI/System -> Adapter Metadata. This means that the specific value for that parameter will not be transported and you must maintain it manually after the transport.

The reason for this is, for example, to prevent a PRD system from automatically picking up and processing files from a Source Directory which is only designed for testing on a Dev or QA system.

Regards

Mark

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jai,

>>The problem we face during transport is, this value for the archive directory is lost

I think that's how it should be.

>>I am still wondering why would SAP come up with this feature

The feature is good if they provide an additional say checkbox while exporting ID objects with functionality to keep all parameters intact or remove environment specific parameters. I believe this option must be implemented based on suggestion from some SAP customers.

This is an improvement suggestion. Please add your suggestion in the wiki attached with this blog:

/people/prateek.srivastava3/blog/2011/05/16/suggesting-pi-improvements--features-functionalities-behavior

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

>>I think that's how it should be.

Why do you think so? When the value for source directory is retained as is, why not the Archive directory? i always thought it to be a bug on SAP's part. But now that you mention it is the expected behaviour, I am interested to know the logic behind that.

>>This is an improvement suggestion. Please add your suggestion in the wiki attached with this blog:

I will do that.

Thanks

Jai

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>When the value for source directory is retained as is, why not the Archive directory?

As I see, even the source directory is not retained after the transport. Archive dir (as well as source dir) are environment specific usually and therefore should not be retained in my opinion.

Manually editing the metadata could help you modify the transport related behavior as per your needs.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava