Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching UME datasource from LDAP to Database

MG3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Has anyone had any success switching the datasource from LDAP to portal database? I know it's documented as " not supported unless explicitly specified" in the relevant SAP note, but just checking to see if anyone has had any luck. If yes, could you please let us know the issues you faced?

Thanks

Manoj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

benjamin_houttuin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've have switched from:

- ABAP back to UME DB

and also from

- LDAP back to UME DB

Both where successful ...

As your already mention, and that is very important, it isn't supported.

one very important item is to know how your system was installed initially.

Because during the sapinst installation process at one time in the wizzard you are asked how to configure UME.

If that was the moment you chose to use LDAP (or ABAP) as datasource then you will not have the UME users like Administrator and Guest. If during the installation UME was chosen and after the installation was finished the UME was switched to LDAP then these users are still there and the chance that you will succeed in a successful switch is very high.

Cheers,

B

MG3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Benjamin

Your response is very useful. We did have database initially and then we switched to LDAP recently. Now we want to switch back to database.

I'll leave this thread open for input for a few days and then close it.

Thanks

Manoj

former_member201257
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I personally prefer doing the UME based installation first and then connecting to the LDAP at a later point.

It is really helpful when we are in situation like this and also when we want to switch LDAPs.

The only problem here you have to note is that you will loose your portal role/group assignments for the users that were originally stored in LDAP and will later be created in UME DB.

Thanks,

Shanti

MG3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shanti

Thank you, yes I understand the assignment would be lost.

If we were to switch from LDAP to DB, and notice some issue at startup or post, would there be any problems reverting it to LDAP where we are now?

Regards

Manoj

MG3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Benjamin and Shanti.

We took a dive and successfully reverted our UME from LDAP to UME Database. No issues whatsoever (apart from portal groups assignments which I had to re-do).

Regards

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

I am also trying to revert the UME data source from LDAP to Database on my test portal system. But database option in UME LDAP data of EP config tool doesnt exist anymore. The xml file "datasourceConfiguration_database_only.xml" does appear under persistence of the UME Service "com.sap.security.core.ume.service".

Do we have to follow a special procedure to make this change? If so can you please let me know the steps.

Thanks,

Durga Pilli.

Former Member

Found the procedure.

open Config Tool and go to cluster-data -> Global Server

Configuration->Sevices->com.sap.security.ume.service.

-Select the property ume.persistence.data_source_configuration

and click on "Restore to default"

-Save the changes and restart the engine.

Answers (0)