cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Support Packages ECC - all needed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Thats perhaps an silly question but I need to know waht you think / know according that topic.

I'm planning to implement support packages in our ECC-System. We haven't done that since a while and therefore there are a lot of packages. After dealing with a few problems with our Solution Manager I now have all files I need. (a lot of...)

Now the question - is it really necessary to implement all of them?

Don't under stand me wrong. I know I have to implement basis / apa / HR /... but do I have to need to update all these enterprise extansions or Healthcare and so on?

We don't use them (and therefore we never updated them before)

Would be great to get an answer!

best wishes,

Alex

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well it is best practice to update the whole System, either few of them are on use or not. There is a term dependency also. For e.g. there is any Component which is not in use but that is dependent on some other component which you want to upgrade then you have to upgrade that too. So It's better to upgrade the whole stack and there is not any negative impact to upgrade the whole stack.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

hmm - I suspected someone coming with that answer.

It seems I have to swallow the bitter pill and implement them all ... and thats a lot...all EA'S have to be updated at least from 6 to 19

br

Alex

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Just folllow the Note 822379 - Known problems with Support Packages in SAP NW 7.0x AS ABAP while doing the upgrade. If you will define your queue based on this you wont face any major issue. This note updated regulaly.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

THX - I know that note quite well and I think I will get much more familiar with that note during the next days and weeks

the only think I'm now just afraid is, that it won't be possible to implement all of that packages in a acceptable timeframe...but we will see...

br

Alex

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just an additional information, till the time you are in ECC 6.0 release, SAP always recommends to upgrade whole stack.

But starting from EHP4 onwards, you need not to upgrade all packages. You can upgrade only those packages which you are using in the system. I think you should plan for EHP4 upgrade.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Sunny!

THX for that response - perhaps you can help me with that as well...we planned to implement EHP4 but after reading some articles and documentations according that topic we discoverd that EHPs are only needed if you need some of the Improvements.

it's not recommended to implement the full EHP, or? Therefore we planned to wait with EHP until we have the need to implement...

br

Alex

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are right. When you implement EHP's then by default you will not get EHP functionality. If you want to get EHP functions then you need to activate business function in that.

And if you don't need any function then don't activate it. So, this is kind of improvement which SAP has done in EHP's so that system should not contain any functions that you don't need.

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member208104
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

There are two approaches to apply EHP in your landscape:

1.Broad Installation : Where you can install all the relevant enhancement in one shot where you are not sure what usage type your company is using e.g:

Utilities Waste Recycle/Telco

Human Capital Management

Central application

2. Selective installation: Where you can install EHP for selective usage type and you are sure what your company is using.

As SAP claims there is no UI changes after EHP upgrade till you activate the business functions relevant to your usage types. You are safe to install all the EHP on your system.

But you required regression testing same as after support pack upgrade you do .

There is no performance impact. On other hand you will get performance improvement due to bug fixes in new codes and new kernel version. If any SAP will support to resolve them.

-Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay!

Thx for your respone and sry für my late answer.

We have no special use activated.

That the reason why we have implemented Support Packages only for the used parts two weeks before.

Please have a look at the following list of our System Components.

The first eight lines are the packages we have updated until now.

(We are not using the other stuff)

In that case a "selective installation" for a central application-use should be ok, or?

br

Alex

SAP_ABA 700 0023 SAPKA70023 Cross-Application Component

SAP_BASIS 700 0023 SAPKB70023 SAP Basis Component

PI_BASIS 2005_1_700 0023 SAPKIPYJ7N PI_BASIS 2005_1_700

SAP_BW 700 0025 SAPKW70025 SAP NetWeaver BI 7.0

SAP_AP 700 0022 SAPKNA7022 SAP Application Platform

SAP_APPL 600 0019 SAPKH60019 Logistics and Accounting

SAP_HR 600 0069 SAPKE60069 Human Resources

C-CEE 110_600 0026 SAPK-11026INCCEE ECC Core Country Versions for EEM Countr

SAP_HRRXX 600 0069 SAPK-60069INSAPHRRXX Sub component SAP_HRRXX of SAP_HR

EA-IPPE 400 0006 SAPKGPID06 SAP iPPE

EA-APPL 600 0006 SAPKGPAD06 SAP Enterprise Extension PLM, SCM, Financials

EA-DFPS 600 0006 SAPKGPDD06 SAP Enterprise Extension Defense Forces & Public Security

EA-FINSERV 600 0006 SAPKGPFD06 SAP Enterprise Extension Financial Services

EA-GLTRADE 600 0006 SAPKGPGD06 SAP Enterprise Extension Global Trade

EA-HR 600 0007 SAPKGPHD07 SAP Enterprise Extension HR

EA-PS 600 0006 SAPKGPPD06 SAP Enterprise Extension Public Services

EA-RETAIL 600 0006 SAPKGPRD06 SAP Enterprise Extension Retail

FINBASIS 600 0006 SAPK-60006INFINBASIS Fin. Basis

ECC-DIMP 600 0006 SAPK-60006INECCDIMP DIMP

ERECRUIT 600 0006 SAPK-60006INERECRUIT E-Recruiting

FI-CA 600 0006 SAPK-60006INFICA FI-CA

FI-CAX 600 0006 SAPK-60006INFICAX FI-CA Extended

INSURANCE 600 0006 SAPK-60006ININSURANC SAP Insurance

IS-CWM 600 0006 SAPK-60006INISCWM Industry Solution Catch Weight Management

IS-H 600 0006 SAPK-60006INISH SAP Healthcare

IS-M 600 0006 SAPK-60006INISM SAP MEDIA

IS-OIL 600 0006 SAPK-60006INISOIL IS-OIL

IS-PS-CA 600 0006 SAPK-60006INISPSCA IS-PUBLIC SECTOR CONTRACT ACCOUNTING

IS-UT 600 0006 SAPK-60006INISUT SAP Utilities/Telecommunication

LSOFE 600 0006 SAPK-60006INLSOFE SAP Learning Solution Front-End

SEM-BW 600 0006 SAPKGS6006 SEM-BW: Strategic Enterprise Management

ST-A/PI 01J_ECC600 0000 - Application Servicetools for ECC 600

ST-PI 2005_1_700 0006 SAPKITLQI6 SAP Solution Tools Plug-In

former_member208104
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

You need EHP if you want to bring new innovation in your landscape. SAP recommends to implement EHP with your support pack maintenance shedule.

Implementing EHP dosn't mean you will get the new functionality after installing it...

For using new functionality you need to activate business switch, in short EHP is on-demand innovation it is always good if you have them.

To answer to your orignal question you don't need to implement all the support packs which you are not using. I had similier senario where we are using industry "Utility" and we never upgraded support pack for insurance and travel managment.

-Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay!

THX for that information.

Another Question because I'm a little bit confused now - Do EHPs have no more effect on the system then implementing support packages until I activate new functionality?

I thought it's not recommended to implement the full EHP because it's effecting runtimes and performance?

Besides the EHP topic I'm going to implement support packages. According to your information (and my own experience in the past and of course the timeframe I have/need) I will only implement the main needed packages (SAP_ABA, SAP_BASIS, SAP_BW, SAP_AP, SAP_APPL, SAP_HR) and won't implement Packages for Enterprise Extensions or any of the solutions.

I think that will work for now. Of course I'm thinking of implementing these packages in a second step. Can you confirm that?

br

Alex

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> Besides the EHP topic I'm going to implement support packages. According to your information (and my own experience in the past and of course the timeframe I have/need) I will only implement the main needed packages (SAP_ABA, SAP_BASIS, SAP_BW, SAP_AP, SAP_APPL, SAP_HR) and won't implement Packages for Enterprise Extensions or any of the solutions.

> I think that will work for now. Of course I'm thinking of implementing these packages in a second step. Can you confirm that?

>

> br

> Alex

SAP always recommend to upgrade whole stack always.

Thanks

Sunny