cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are printers locked on transporting?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I've noticed recently that everytime we transport a printer through to QA and Prod, the printer is locked in SPAD.

The printer was not locked in DEV... I recall having the odd printer before where it would be locked in QA or perhaps even in Prod but not consistently; it seems EVERY printer is locked now in both systems after transporting.

This can be quite an overhead if lots of printers are transported, i.e. having to unlock them all one by one...

Anyone know why this is happening? Is there a setting somewhere to automatically lock imported printers?

Thanks

Ross

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Spool Server Name will be different on Each Server so whenever you transport any Printer from Dev to QA/PRD, it is getting locked automatically.

Regards,

Subhash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Please follow this to Mass Lock & unLockthe printers

To mass Lock all the printer in SAP:

Go to transaction code SPAD

On top of the screen menu click Utilities -> For output devices -> Export devices

On the screen Import and Export of Device Descriptions:

Export/Import file name: c:\temp\printer.txt

Frontend computer: Tick

Export: Tick

Export Export: Tick

Output device: Choose the Selection options Pattern and type a *

(* for all or a* for all printers starting with a)

Click the Execute button

Open the text file do a replace all of PADISABLED = "" to PADISABLED = "X"

Then import the same file.

To mass Unlock all the printer in SAP:

Go to transaction code SPAD

On top of the screen menu click Utilities -> For output devices -> Export devices

On the screen Import and Export of Device Descriptions:

Export/Import file name: c:\temp\printer.txt

Frontend computer: Tick

Export: Tick

Export Export: Tick

Output device: Choose the Selection options Pattern and type a *

(* for all or a* for all printers starting with a)

Click the Execute button

Open the text file do a replace all of PADISABLED = "X" to PADISABLED = ""

Then import the same file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Subhash - I'm not certain that's the case but it's a good theory; we have some logical spool names that DO exist on all the systems BUT looking at the last few I've created I can see that they have the server name defined in the DEV system so if it's true that would explain; next time I have a printer to create and transport to QA I will create it with the logical spool name that exists in QA too and see what happens.

Thanks GVL.Kiran too - that sounds like it would work but as there's over 4000 printers in this system that would be a lot of effort to do every time!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another work around is to create a spool server pointing to them in SPAD->Spool server which assings it to all printers.