cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete cube request - before or after index creation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

a quick question. I plan to delete for one cube requests that are older than 3 days (cube only hosts short term reporting). Now I wonder if this should be done aftter the new load but before the index is created or after the index is created.

I guess it is after the index is created otherwise it would take longer to find the requests that should be deleted. The index will be slighly degenerated due to the deletion but should be only marginal.

I am right or wrong?

Thanks for all replies in advance,

Axel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

a quick question. I plan to delete for one cube requests that are older than 3 days (cube only hosts short term reporting). Now I wonder if this should be done aftter the new load but before the index is created or after the index is created.

The delete should be done before index creation, as once the index are created then even though the data corresponding to those index is deleted the index still remains. This unnecessarily increases the index table size

regards,

Arvind.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not worried about the index table size ...

I am looking for the fastes solution.

Delting before the index creation will be suit for best query performance as the newest index will be used (no degeneration/ "holes in the index"). But will the request deletion not take significant more time (when executed after index deletion but before index creation) as it will take more time to track down the request ID entries to be deleted?

Axel

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

request deletion before index creation is optimal as for index creation it has to create it for a less amount of data hence it is faster.

regards,

Arvind.

former_member186445
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

as far as i know (and remember) , SAP advices to first build indexes and then delete the overlapping requests. I'm sure that if you look on the forum you'll find some proper SAP documentation

here you are:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d5/e80d3dbd82f72ce10000000a114084/content.htm

M.

Edited by: M Tibollo on May 25, 2011 11:02 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks M for the info.

regards,

Arvind.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First you have to create indexes and delete overlapping requests from cube and the load data and created index for load data.

So by creating index first you know for what index need to delete for overlapping requests in cube, so it will save lot of database space in cube, then load the data and then create index to improve performance and for fastest querying and for further deleting for overlapping requests.

For full load into cube you have to follow all these steps.