cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate IOPS & SAPS of SAP Production server?

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have ECC6.0 running on HP-UX. I would like to know how can i calculate current IOPS( Input Outputs Per Second ) & SAPS( SAP Application Performance Standars) for my server which has about 200 users?

Edited by: MaheshKumarM on May 25, 2011 7:16 AM

Edited by: MaheshKumarM on May 25, 2011 9:28 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

SAPS OF HARDISK CALCULATION FORMULA

Eg:

10000 RPM = 120 IOPS

1 SAPS = .5 IOPS

Total 10 Hard disk with 10k RPM

Then total IOPS =120*10 =1200

Then total SAPS = 1200/.5 = 2400 SAPS

For more details please contact you hardware vendor

Regards

Aby Paul

Email: abypv1@gmail.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please see this document before implementing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aby Sir,

Thanks for the valuable knowledge........

Thanks and Regards,

SajmaL

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is rather simple and straight-forward... Use transaction ST03N Workload Overview .. and find out teh total number of  steps for everything during a given period....    If you want to do this for a month divide it by number of days and 24 to arrive at average number of steps in an hour. Then divide this number by 60 and you will get your SAPS...

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks all

Former Member
0 Kudos

[http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark|http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx] holds a list of officially tested configurations. If you are lucky you have a installation very similar than a tested one.

IOPS can be measured by OS commands like sar, or tools like glance.

Cheers Michael

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

How can we calculate theoretically

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mahesh,

you can enter your server model and CPU type into the Quick Sizer and it should calculate the possible SAPS.

With actual IOPS you have to measure it with OS tools to determine the peak usage. Unfortunately I don't

have any real first-hand experience with that.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mahesh,

if you want to know how many SAPS or IOPS your system is consuming in real life, then a tool like SAPS Meter is doing the job:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA2-7398ENN.pdf

Regards,

Mark

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response, but if i want to find manually is there any way i can find both things without any tools. If possible tell me steps involved.

Thanks in advance

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thanks for the response, but if i want to find manually is there any way i can find both things without any tools. If possible tell me steps involved.

Hardware vendors have lists of SAPS and IOPS, they made the benchmarks. I'd simply ask them.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

IOPS are calculated based on the amount of data that is written on your disk/SAN, contact your h/w vendor they have tools to calculate IOPS.

To calculate SAPS, please use the quick sizer tool from SMP service.sap.com/quicksizer

For 200 users approx SAPS would turn out to be 9200

Regards,

SBK