cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services and Data Quality Recommnded Install process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a few questions. We have some groups that have requested Data Quality be implemented along with another request for Data Services to be implemented. I've seen the requested for Data Services to be installed on the desktop, but from what I've read, it appears to be best to install this on the server side to allow for more of a central benefit to all.

My questions are:

1. Can Data Services (Server) install X.1 3.2 be installed on the same server as X.I 3.1 SP3 Enterprise?

2. Is the Data Services (CLIENT) Version dependent on if the Data Services (Server) install is completed? Basically can the u201CData Services Designeru201D be used without the Server install?

3. Do we require a new License key for this or can I use the Enterprise Server license key?

4. At this time we are not using this to move data in and out of SAP, just using this to read data that is coming from SAP.

From what I read, DATA Services comes with the SAP BusinessObjects Data Integrator or SAP BusinessObjects Data Quality Management solutions. Right now it's seems we dont have a need for the SAP Connection supplement, but definetly something we would implement in the near future. What would be the recommended architecture? A new Server with tomcat and cmc (seperate from our current BOBJ Enterprise servers)? or can DataServices be installed on the same?

Thank you,

Teresa

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Teresa.

Hope you are referring to BOE 3.1 (Business Objects Enterprise) and BODS (Business Objects Data Services) installation on the same server machine.

Am not an expert on BODS installation.

But this is my observation :

We had recently tested on a test machine BOE BOXI 3.1 SP3 (full build) installation before upgrade of our BOE system.

We also have BODS in our environment.

Which we also wanted to check whether we could keep on the same server.

So on this test machine, which already has BOXI 3.1 SP3 build, when i installed BODS server installation,

what we observed was that,

all the menus of BOE went away

and only menus of BODS were seen.

May be BODS installation overwrites/ or uninstalls BOE, if it already exists ?

I dont know. Though i could not fine any documentation, saying that we cannot have BODS and BOE on the same server machine. But this is what we observed.

So we have kept BODS and BOE on 2 different machines running independently and we do not see any problem.

Cheers

indu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Teresa,

I can't answer all your questions immediately, but at least I can start:

1. I don't see why not. You would have to configure different port numbers but in principle there shouldn't be a problem. You might run into trouble migrating between the two environments. Personally, I did not yet set it up like that and it might be more complicated to set up the management console etc.

2. No, you need the server. The server could even run on the same machine (let's say a notebook or desktop pc) but you need access to a server with BODS. If you run different versions, you might probably have to have several installs of the designer as well.

3. I suppose this is something you might want to check with your SAP support.