cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Upgrade 7.0 to 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

curently doing an upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1. For this we are going to migrate all out 7.0 objects to a new 7.1 environemts without actually upgrading the objects first.

Has anybody used this appraoch and have any hints to assist with this? I have found the sap guide on this and am working through that.

Also is the best approach to migrate old dev 7.0 the new dev 7.1, old qa 7.0 to new qa 7.1, old prod 7.0 to new prod 7.1. Or migrate dev and then transport new objects??

Thanks.

Nick.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before you transport the objects from 7.0 to 7.1, please ensure to install the ESR Content as per note below:

[Note 1152640 - SAP NetWeaver 7.1 including EHPs: Importing ESR content|https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1wdCZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1152640]

You don't really need to create new objects if you have the basis content for 7.0 (see note above), but if you want to convert them, I'd upgrade on DEV and then transport to other 7.1 systems.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Steven_UM
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey,

We migrated ( not upgraded ) from XI 3.0 towards 7.1 a couple of years ago without any issues ...

We had long discussion on whether to upgrade or migrate our boxes ... in the end we chose a migration as we also switched OS ( from Windows to Unix ).

We exported all our SC, repository and directoy objects to the file system and then imported those in a NEW 7.1 installation landscape ( we accepted the fact that we would loose message history ).

We also created new versions of all our SC to keep some kind of maintainability and consistency

We move existing objects over in the new version when we need to change them .... new development is automatically done in the newly (latest) version.

The transport system was used to move everything over into the new QA & production systems.

Regards,

Steven

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>Also is the best approach to migrate old dev 7.0 the new dev 7.1, old qa 7.0 to new qa 7.1, old prod 7.0 to new prod 7.1. Or migrate dev and then transport new objects??

I have a slightly different point of view here. The overall approach depends largely on the number of integration scenario in your landscape. If it is feasible to test each and every flow (as per time constraint), then you may test in Dev of 7.1 and move those objects to Q. However, in a typical large implemenation, you can't test everything and in that case I would recommend this

1. Migrate the Dev objects first and test it.

2. If there is no change required in dev objects, move QA from 7.0 to 7.1.

3. Test in QA and if there are no changes required and then move P objects to 7.1

4. If there are changes required, move those specific objects from Dev - QA - P. Rest all should be moved as it is.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I go with first migrate PI 7.0 objects to PI 7.1 dev environment and then perform complete testing and move PI 7.1 objects to Quality then production this is good way as per my experience.

Regards,

Raj