cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeous system copy for machine refreshment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP expert,

I'd like to migrate our sap system() from power5 to power7, and the host name and the ip address will be kept unchanged on the power7 machine. We want to use homogeous system copy for db6 to migrate the sap system for testing. And after the testing, we want to just use db2 backup/restore to replace the database without system copy again. I know there are several steps in sapinst after db restore when I do a system copy, but the hostname, ip and user are unchanged, so I think there is no need to do a system copy again. Could someone help confirm that?

And we also want to seperate DB instance and CI to different machine, can we just do a db backup/restore for this case too? And I am not sure if some information about CI and diaglog instance is recorded, if so, I just concern there is some inconsistency if I just replace the database instead of do a homogeous system copy again.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Until and unless you are not going to change OS and db, you can use database specific method (i.e. backup/restore) for system movement.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunny! You mean I don't need to use sapinst to do the db specific system copy and just use db2 restore, so that is, the remaining steps of sapinst after db restore for db specific system copy (homogeous system copy) will not do something important if I don't change the hostname and ip, and I can just restore db will be ok?

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should do the homogeneous system copy with backup restore method and complete it till end as it run some reports.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Is those report very key? The ip, hostname, system user will keep unchanged and only the machine will be changed from AIX5 to AIX6, so after I do a whole homogeous system copy for the first time and all sap related files are already moved to the new machine, so the next time I want to restore the db with the backup taken on AIX5 to new machine directly without reinstall sap system, it will reserve some time and reduce the effort. Do you think if there is any problem if I do this? Thanks.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are 2 things:

1) If you are installing new system then you have to complete whole system copy.

2) But if system already exists there then you can simply restore your database and bring your database and system up.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Thanks. I see. And if we seperate the DB Instance and Central Instance to different machine, will the same principle be applied? Is there CI or DI location information in DB?

Answers (0)