cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSH on installation-server fails with "Could not start DS as a service"

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to set up Local Security Handling on my GUI Installation server so that end-users do not need admin-privileges to install GUI. But after pressing the last "Next" in the wizard I get an error-message saying "Could not start DS as a service". Any tips on this?

I am logged in as Administrator on the installation-server.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Note 1587566 is solved my problem.

Many Thanks,

Regards.

0 Kudos

Hi Thor,

please try if applying the correction in Note 1587566 fixes the problem. If not, please open an OSS message and provide the relevant log files.

Thanks and regards,

Klaus-Georg

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found that the user you specify for the DS service, has to have the local admin rights (or at least be allowed to run as a service - maybe a few other rights) on the installation server. It makes no difference if the installing or configuring user is an administrator or not.

You can go through the configuration in nwsetupadmin, let it fail for example, then amend the DS service manually to use a better qualified service account. Once it starts, the installation server notices this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This has struck me too after applying Patch 6 w/ hotfix 3 for SAPGui 7.20 to a Win2003 Installation Server and a server running Server 2008.

If I go into Server Services, and try to start it there I get the Access Denied message and it's also logged in the server's System event log.

I will take a look at OSS Note; 1587566

Bob H

Minneapolis, MN

Edited by: Bob Held on Jun 10, 2011 5:37 PM

Edited by: Bob Held on Jun 10, 2011 5:41 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Klaus-Georg,

OSS Note; 1587566

Fixed the issue for me! Thanks ... this had the potential to totally RUIN my weekend.

I might add that if the OSS Note could be appended to also include these 'specific' symptoms:

DS can not be configured as a service, manually starting the service from Windows Services results in 'Access Denied message'.

Dramatic increase in install time on Windows 2008 Server R2.

Before Install executibles configured in SAPGui packages loop 6-7 times before the SAPGui install status starts.

I observed all of the above and they all have stopped after applying the Setup patch OSS note 1587566.

I do have to toss out "Who the heck is doing QA on these releases"? Not being able to run the distribution service is a BIG deal.

Thank you for being here and posting the OSS note!

Bob H

Minneapolis, MN

0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

that one slipped through the cracks with another last-minute change. Sorry for the hassle it caused.

Best regards,

Klaus-Georg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, OSS Note 1587566 resolved the error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

On Server 2003 SP2 ... make sure the server 'SERVICE' for Remote Registry is started and running.

Bob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

please see if you can configure the service "SAP Frontend Distribution Service" manualy via system control panel. It worked in my case...

kind regards

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried to manually start the service "SAP Front-End LSH Service", but this fails with "Access denied".

Former Member
0 Kudos

in this case please check that you are really logged in as administrator