cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mpn number in production order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We are having multiple vendors for raw materials and for each vendor we are having different material number for the same raw material (all this raw materials are interchangeable).These different material numbers are created just to identify different vendors from which they are procured. Properties of all these materials are same so whenever we do mrp we want requirements to be generated for all these materials so that purchasing guy can bargain with vendors & decide from whom to procure.

The above is my requirement.

For this we are thinking of using MPN numbers where we will have single internal number and multiple mpn numbers. This exactly satisfies our requirement as far as purchasing part is concerned but mpn numbers are not inventory managed.

What we need is that we should be able to select component in production order based on MPN number and not on sap internal number. I have read about parts interchangeability in sap.

So if we install add on package is my requirement going to be satisfied. Or is there any other way I can map the above scenario in sap.

Your guidance on this will be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

madlercm
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interchangeability could solve your issue, but I would first think about using batches with classification as the MPN number. This way for planning you have only one number, in purchasing you can specify the MPN, and in stock you have a different batch as per MPN. Then in the production order you specify from which batch you want to consume.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your reply; i already suggested that to client, but the problem is that here production order is created and released by planner & he decides from which manufacturer component to be used.the goods issues are posted by backflushing during confirmations by operator.So he will only selected batches of particular mpn selected by planner 7 he should not be allowed to change mpn other than that specified by the planner.

This becomes bit of problem otherwise it was absolutely fine.

do you have any confirmed idea whether mpn interchangeability will work in this process.

Thanks in advance.

Answers (0)