cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know a Microsoft patch on my server can affect BO?

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do I know if installing a Microsoft patch on my Windows server may affect my BusinessObjects installation?

For example this patch:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-035

i looked for information of this in http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms11-035.mspx

But it doesn't say if this may affect BusinessObjects functionality.

Is it safe to install this Windows patch?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is very little chance that Microsoft will reference Business Objects in any of their patch documentation. There are far too many software packages that run on Windows for MS to regression test with each release. The only true way to know if a patch will affect your deployment is to install it in a test environment and run it through its paces. Heck, sometimes SAP patches break Business Objects so test, test and test some more (to be fair, this happens to other vendors also).

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I guess that's the only way to know.

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If a microsoft patch causes issues with business objects cases would most likely be opened and KB's would be written. In the past I have written such KB's where you could search our knowledge base for the microsoft KB # and find the issue, or by the symptoms after you applied the patch, It is very rare and supported to keep your microsoft system up to date. Your only real issues would come if using a very old version of BOE that is not currently releasing new SP's in which case you could run into problems with newer Microsoft patches that were never tested.

Regards,

Tim