Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

using Dimension as a fact

I have a scenario:

let me create that with simple Prod/Cus/Ord tables so that everyone can understand (instead of using my business terms).

Product table:

prod id

prod name

Staff table:

staff id

staff name

Customer Table:

cust no

customer name

staff id ---> This is the staff who created this customer or assisted this customer (before placing an order) (joined to staff table by staf id)

Order Fact table:

prod id --> Joined to Products table by prod id

cust no --> Joined to customer table by cust no

staff id --> Joined to staff table by staff id

ord no

ord date

qty

amount

I am joining staff id to customer (instead of going thorugh Order fact table) as a customer is created by one staff but actual order is created by another staff. So, my clients would need to who know created the customer and who created his orders.

My question is, is this a proper design? because with this design tools are not able to understand how to formulate a query. Cognos query studio just takes which ever path it likes (not sure if there is a way to change that) and BO creates a loop and looks for Contexts (our customers don't like context as these scenarios are plenty in our database)

another eg:-

there could be dates that is common in both Customer and Order fact tables:

customer created date,modified date and order created date, order modified date. analysts would need to know customer created date/order modified date etc..

Hope you understood my question..

Thanks,.

Former Member
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question