cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rollback changes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to rollback some changes that went into production. I had activity A and B: the first was on a component/web dynpro and the other was on another component/web dynpro. B was an emergency fix that was released after A. When B was taken into production, A went in Outdated mode and its' content was applied as well.

Now, to solve the issue I've made a Sync to date, using a timestamp in which the affected project did not have the activity A's changes. Now I need to find a way to force this version up to the DTR as a new activity in order to rollback the changes made by activity A.

I've marked from deletion the files that are server only (i.e. that were created with activity A) and I've checked out the others.

The problem is that there is a bunch of files (marked with the Warning sign) that cannot be checked out for edit.

The error message that I'm getting is:

File is out of date - File needs to be synced to latest version first

I can't do any kind of merge on those files. Even a Force Upload on the folder does not change anything. I don't know what else to try.

Can someone give me an hint?

Thank you,

Pietro

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've found a workaround.

To rollback changes:

1. Make a Sync-To-Date to the timestamp when the project was in the original state (i.e.: without the edits you want to revert)

2. Copy the subfolders that had been touched by the edits and needs to be restored (e.g.: src\packages)

Note: be careful not to take local-only/autogenerated folders (e.g.: "bin" folder)

3. Make a Sync of the project to the current version

Note: if Sync fails, remove the project from client and reimport it from scratch

4. With the OS file manager (e.g.: Windows Explorer), substitute the folders previously copied with the local project directory's subfolders

5. Refresh the project in Netweaver. The IDE will offer the user to check-in files that were deleted with the edits that one needs to revert: Check all the files for import and create the Rollback activity with them.

Note: watch out not to add files that needs to stay local-only (see note of point 2)

6. Go to the DTR perspective and

6.1. If a file is shown as server-side only (database grey icon overlay), it means that this file was added with the edits you want to revert so mark it for deletion

6.2. Select all the other files and check them into the activity with the Edit command (mark as edited)

Note: Don't forget the .dcdef file in your project root directory!

7. Select all the files in your activity and make a Forced upload

Note: Don't forget to do that or when you'll close your activity, Netweaver won't upload the changes due to timestamp check

8. Close, Activate and Release the activity

Doing a "rollforward" to reapply the edits involves the same basic operations.

Hope it helps whoever needs to do something like this.

If there is a smarter way to accomplish this (a faster/cleaner strategy), please let me know!

Thank you,

Pietro

Edited by: pietro.m on May 25, 2011 5:18 PM