Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lexicographic flag setup and material number range change

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

got the following situation:

AS IS:

Tcode MMNR: Number range for material master part number: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (lenght 18, external assignment)

Tcode OMSL: Lexicographic flag IS NOT setup

Tcode OMS2: For all material types flag "External no. assignment w/o check" IS SETUP

Basically we can't create numeric only part numbers.

The new requirement is to be able to create numeric part numbers like:

01234 (where the leading zero is a significant character for the part number)

By doing the following changes:

MMNR: change number range 000000000000000000 to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

OMSL: setup lexicographic AND leading zeros flag

OMS2: clear flag for External no. assignment w/o check

I see I do achieve the result: numeric part numbers can be created, leading zeros are managed in the correct way and all numeric part numbers are LEFT-aligned, so looking to MARA you would see part numbers like this:

012345V

09CATALIST1

0AFVAU0001

23225V

23243V

2SIMBACK3210

I did already tried all the above changes in the quality system, then created a numeric part number and an alfanumeric part number, for both of them did create a PO, Inbound delivery, posted MIGO, created a sales order, outbound delivery, PGIed without any issue, stock was displayed and managed correctly by the system, same for material docs.

We already thought about BW, so in case we do the changes BW would be ok.

Apparently everything is fine so I should go for the production system BUT........ in my mind I'm thinking that OMSL Tcode is usually setup day 1 of an Sap project and then usually you forget it... I have the fear that even if everything looks fine (and Sap allows me to change the customizing), I'm going to muck up the system...

Have you ever had the same to do ? I already saw posts similar to this one but already existing conditions were different so to me this case looks like unique so far..

Any help, suggestion, whatever will be highly appreciated, especially cause I have to take a decision by tomorrow morning

Many thanks in advance !!

Enrico

Edited by: Matt on Aug 13, 2011 7:39 AM - profanity removed

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As you never had numeric numbers, it should not create a big problem.

I am working in a system with lexicographical setting in use.

But you have to keep in mind that your sort sequence is quite different to numeric numbers, like this:

And you may get the one or other issue if you download material numbers to Excel, with wrong settings you will loose your leading zeros.

A similar effect happens most of the time if user not very familiar with Excel give you a file for an upload, as this often is prepared without leading zeros, which could cause a load to the wrong material if the remaining number would be a duplicate:

0123 and 123

Of course is a selection by number range not that easy as it is with numeric numbers. Usingthe first example a range from 1 to 3 includes materials 10, 11 and 12 as well

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

many thanks for your reply ! I did apply customizing changes last Monday and so far everything is fine, in terms of sorting problems we didn't really have a choice, so people will learn how to cope with them.

Best regards,

Enrico