cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSS - OADP returning strange result

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In MSS there are 2 views that give organizational units. They both use evaluation path ORGEH_T. The difference is that one uses Depth of structure = 2. The other uses Depth of Structure = 0

When I check MSS, they both return a full org.structure, which is more than 2 levels deep.

I checked the structure via RHSTRU00 in backend. It returns correctly with different depths for the 2 settings.

Could anyone hint what could be wrong?

Thank you in advance.

/Kirsten

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

dsharmak
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Kirsten,

There is a mis-perception about the depth parameter in the object selection rule.

The depth parameter in the object selection rule will only determine the level upto which the evaluation should is done in the organization structure in the backend. This will influence the display of the organization tree that is displayed in the iview. But this does not necessarly stop the organization tree from expanding when the nodes are pressed. The depth parameter is not used for limiting the access to the organization units at lower levels. Let me give some backround

information, In general the managerial self service business packages was designed for middle level or line managers who in general would manage around seventy to hundred employees. But some customers were using the MSS role for users who are higher level managers or top managments who were having 10000 direct reports etc. For sure, the MSS

was not designed for such purposes, as it will lead to performance issues. However we came with a workaround which is the organization tree view where instead of reading 10,000 employees at one stretch, we read few Org Units and than process the employees within them respectfully.

The depth property in the object selection rule is used to determine to which depth the organization tree to be displayed in the iview at the beginning. Upon clicking on the nodes it will make indivigual calls to the backend to fetch the successive objects.

Hope the above explanation should be fine.

Best Regards,

Deepak..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thanks - that explains it. But from that explanation it really shouldn't be necessary to provide 2 selections - one called "org.units" and one "org.structure"? As it seems to return the same result, it is only confusing to the managers

Is there a performance difference between the 2 so I should prefer one of them?

(BTW: Our customers tend to use it as you mention - from the top level. We have told them this is not what it MSS designed for. But they still like to use it this way )

Thanks again

Kirsten

dsharmak
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Kirsten,

If your client has more than 70 to 100 employees under a manger, than you will face the performance problems,

In that case organization tree view where instead of reading lot of employees at one stretch, we read few Org Units and than process the employees within them respectfully. So you can avoid the peformance problem. You can look for some notes also in service market place.

Best Regards,

Deepak..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again Deepak. I realize the org.view is better for performance reasons, and we encourage this. But as the 2 org.views return the same, I only want to keep one of them So I was more wondering whether there is a performance difference between the one with depth 2 and the one with depth 0.

Best regards

Kirsten