Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager 7.1 vs Solution Manager 7 EHP1

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Anywhere i can have the comparison between Solution Manager 7.1 vs Solution Manager EHP1 interm of functional and technical area?

Information for Solution Manager 7.1 is just limited, what i can get is just some release info from SAP teched Sapphire.

Appreciate if anyone can share the differences between the two release.

Cheers,

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please check this [Solution Manager 7.1 Operation guide|https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&_SHORTKEY=01100035870000735220&_OBJECT=011000358700000497822011E]

Thanks,

Jansi

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

First of all, many thanks for the enlightment. However, i've went thru most of the docs however, i still unable to distinguish the difference between solman 7 vs 7.1 except below:

i) integrate 3rd party software like IBM rational

ii) Dashboard functionality based on BO technology

iii) Unified Change Process and Change execution

iv) unified monitoring

vi) combination of CRM 7.01 and Solman 7.

However, what i really interested to know is the techincal area and how do the new or enhance functionality works such as

i) Dashboard functionality based on BO technology

ii) Unified Change Process and Change execution - what does this mean? in 7.0, we have this Charm and what's the different between unified Change Process and Change execution with Charm?

iii) unified monitoring - Unified monitoring means we can monitored the entire IT solution with RCA, wily or System monitoring? The based is still depending on Solman 7 system monitoring functionality?

vi) combination of CRM 7.01 and Solman 7 - this is just for better user-interface?

Anyone have better idea on how Solman 7.1 really difference with Solman 7 interms of its technical perspective??

Cheers,

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang.

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The big difference between Solution Manager 7.1 and Solution Manager 7 EHP1 is that Solution Manager 7.1 is being build to be able to support whole lifecycles, even beyond SAP.

For example

In Solution Manager 7 EHP1 you have incident management but it build to be used only for SAP systems or SAP related products

In Solution manager 7.1 you have incident management but you can include anything, the way it is build you can do incident management for your whole IT Infrastructure and not only for SAP based products (given you have Enterprise Support to take advantage of certain enterprise features)

The reason why there will be a full blown CRM in Solution Manager 7.1 is because SAP doesn't have to bring out seperate support package stacks for CRM as a standalone product vs CRM in Solution Manager 7.1.

The support package stacks that come out for CRM will be applicable for Solution Manager 7.1 thus they avoid double work or more work which they would have if they gave a CRM lite. This means there will be more frequent updates available and that the Solution Manager 7.1 can take advantage of all the new features CRM will be getting in the future as well.

You are however not allowed to use the full blown CRM as a CRM SAP system. You may only use the CRM part as part of Solution Manager in the way the Solution Manager scenarios describe the usage.

Another big difference you will see in Solution Manager 7.1 will be the numerous API possibilities. You will be able to run/control programs and features from mobile devices and so on through those interfaces. You will see features such as approving SAP transports on mobile devices and so on.

Hope this answers some of the questions.

Kind regards

Tom

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Nicolas

i) integrate 3rd party software like IBM rational

--> interface possibilities will feature so many options you will be able to connect almost any software

ii) Dashboard functionality based on BO technology

--> SAP will build dashboards for Solution Manager monitoring (CCMS) for example to provide a quicker view on the monitoring instead of those alert lines in RZ20. You will probably see these dashboards appearing after some SP stacks and not in the initial ramp-up versions

--> SAP is still working on how CHARM, Quality Gate management and cCTS will work together. As far as I heard CHARM and Quality Gate management will melt together which is probably what the mean by unified. I have also heard and had it confirmed that moving CHARM project from Sol Man 7.0 EHP1 to Sol Man 7.1 is still impossible at this moment meaning you would have to restart using new CHARM projects

iv) unified monitoring

--> Better integrating of the different monitoring tools and better visiblity through the dashboards. You can expect a lot more wizards in Sol Man 7.1 to implement scenarios and configure things compared to Sol Man 7 EHP1. In general most of the stuff stays the same though, the diagnostics agent technical infrastructure is still the same

Given you have managed SAP systems with high enough releases > SAP Netwaever 7.0 EHP the ccms monitoring integration is more easy since the CCMS agent is included in sapstartsrv process

vi) combination of CRM 7.01 and Solman 7.

--> as explained earlier, due to the fact that it takes SAP less effort because they can just launch SPs of CRM on both CRM and SolMan and definitely also because SolMan can take advantage of new CRM features that way

Technical Point of view the Solution Manager will run on SAPJVM for the Java part instead of platform JDK which brings better performance in most cases and a more stable environment. SAPJVM can be updated through JSPM (or soon SUM) and SAP releases frequent updates to fix issues and so on.

The technical base is SAP Netweaver 7.20 which also has numerous new features in terms of system administration which you can check out through help.sap.com (netweaver -> version -> what's new).

Kind regards

Tom

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom!

Thanks for you valuable answer! You are like a knight in the shining armor!

Appreciate if you can tell me more where you obtain those information, are you involving in Solman 7.1 Ramp up? I've been searching around, all the sapteched ALM materials mainly talk about how solman 7.1 helps in their E2E business but not concretely on how the tools work its trick behind such as EEM, cCTS, quality gate management and etc.

Also, what worry me is the below:

--> SAP is still working on how CHARM, Quality Gate management and cCTS will work together. As far as I heard CHARM and Quality Gate management will melt together which is probably what the mean by unified. I have also heard and had it confirmed that moving CHARM project from Sol Man 7.0 EHP1 to Sol Man 7.1 is still impossible at this moment meaning you would have to restart using new CHARM projects

Is the news above confirmed?

Again, thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nicolas

I have had the opportunity to work with Solution Manager 7.1 in beta phase.

As you know however a customer or partner cannot give away information from beta or rampup's due to signed agreements so the information is coming from SAP Community in general and different SAP events.

E2E wise you should see database root cause analysis to enable RCA to not only feature non database components but also have metrics on the database. There should be several type of reports available for each type of database (Oracle, SQL Server and so on) which provide valuable information for RCA.

EEM already exists and can be used. Basically you install a diagnostics agent on a laptop and place to laptop somewhere and then automatically run prebuild test scenarios and check the performance in terms of business steps. This makes it possible to see which steps in a business process are running badly or where an issue is located. You could use this to have several EEM agents on different geographical locations and by doing so check the performance on each of those locations.

cCTS will offer additional functionality for CTS in terms of bundeling systems and transports together and also more protection to avoid mistakes like overtaker functionality (avoiding a newer transport with same objects to be imported before an older transport with same objects).

You can find some information in the SAPPHIRENOW replays although limited for Solution Manager but some information like reverse engineering of business process documentation and enhanced business blueprint (properly modeling business processes with decision points on so on).

Following people on twitter who are into Solution Manager and reading SCN content on Solution Manager already gets you some valuable information. Questioning SAP when they release a blog on new featureus is also a good opportunity to find out more.

iii) I had the message confirmed twice during SAP events that it was not possible to take on CHARM projects to Sol Man 7.1. Which created a fuzz at least because some customers are heavily using CHARM. I believe it is also stated in a SAP Note on Solution Manager 7.1 somewhere.

I have heard CHARM and Qaulity Gate Management would merge but I don't have any written confirmation on it.

Kind regards

Tom

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Thanks again!!!

yes, i've been followed some of the SAP mentors and basis guru, also #sapadmin.

May i know what's the twitter account for solman & yours? You should be one of the top 10 list of SAP Basis guru to follow in twitter.

Cheers,

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nicolas

Mine is @tomcenens and for Solution Manager I would advise you to also follow @sapdba (David Hull) who recently became SAP Mentor and there are also some twitter lists that are interesting for Solution Manager such as

@raquelsolman/solution-manager

@SolmanLatam/solman

You can find more people who are into Solution Manager in those lists

Hashtag #solman is sometimes used also

Kind regards

Tom

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Tom!

I'm still searching for the sap note or statement that CHARM will lose after upgrade to 7.1 and came across below thread that said that upgrade to 7.1 won't cause CHARM lose its content.

Your kind input is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Just found out a SAP Library provide very useful info which gives you an overview of the changes and new features in SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP01 compared to SAP Solution Manager 7.0 EHP1 SP26.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp01/helpdata/en/d1/0894462a3a455d8b7b4b178a8b6d9b/content.htm

Cheers,

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Is there any wayto get effort estimation column before the request goto modification from change manager for a charm request  in solution manager 7.1? pls suggest me....

mateus_pedroso
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

http://service.sap.com/solutionmanager => SAP Solution Manager 7.1

http://service.sap.com/rampup => SAP Solution Manager 7.1

JaredS
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Please see if the following is available to you.

https://websmp208.sap-ag.de/rkt

On the left hand side select SAP Solution Manager

Then Solution Manager 7.1

You will find many online information for 7.1

Regards,