cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MultiProvider vs Report-to-Report Interface

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

According to the BW development guidelines of my client, query and report should be defined on MultiProvider. At the moment, I have such an architecture for the reporting: one DSO (line item data) --> one InfoCube (selective data for multidimensional analysis) --> one MultiProvider. The scenario will most probably be extended in the near future.

Now I need to report on data from InfoCube (amount, region, date etc.) as well as DSO (single line item data like name, email address etc. for a person). As what I have understood, I have following options to report different set of data from individual InfoProviders:

1. via MultiProvider by restricting the InfoObject 0INFOPROV

2. via RRI (direct jump from query based on InfoCube data to the query based on DSO data)

Is that correct?

Could anyone please recommend an approach for the scenario mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Joon

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Joon,

if it is necessary to put key figures from different InfoProviders in on line of the report you need integration by MultiProvider. But this is also only possible as far as you use same characteristics, else you will have more lines which also could be a possible solution depending on the requirements.

It depends on the data if 0INFOPROF is necessary. If you want to have special key figures from each InfoProvider you have to use it. If you want to consolidate data

Report to Report Interface (RRI) makes different things possible. Understand that a RRI means to open a new Report sending selection from the context of the Report, key figure, etc. You have to define which selection is needed and which not.

Very often RRI is used in a scenario where you jump from a InfoCube with aggregated data or header data to another InfoCube or DSO with Detailed Data or item data. Data do not have to be from the same kind but usually it makes sense.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

thanks for your explanation. Now I am getting a clearer picture of the different scenarios using MultiProvider and RRI. In fact, I intend to build financial reports in which report user can jump from summary page to different pages such as the personal data page.

But I am still unsure of how I could implement such a report as illustrated below:

-

Section 1:

(Data from InfoCube1)

transaction1 amount1

transaction2 amount2

-

Section 2:

(Data from InfoCube2)

Payment xxx

-

As you can see from above, I have data from two InfoCubes in a page. InfoCube1 and InfoCube2 have inhomogeneous data model and granularity. The key figure in section 1 is different from the key figure in section 2 as well. How can I use MultiProvider to realize this?

Regads,

Joon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just for the sake of it, you can create a Multiprovider and add both the cubes. And then add all the chars and KFs from each.

Data view in MP would be,

transaction1 -

#----

amount1 000

transaction2 -

#----

amount2 000

-

#------- Payment 000000 xxx

But ideally speaking, you should have Multiproviders for each business functions. Like "Sales and Distribution" MP where you add orders, billing etc cubes. And base all Sales report on it.

I can guess reason for your client guideline, even we followed same, is that Multiprovider also provide room for future cubes and DSO in that Function. Suppose right now you report only for Orders. You create reports on Orders cube, tomorrow you need a report where you want to compare Orders and Billing. So now you create a MP. A logical BW representation of Business is lost.

Hope above was useful.