cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you email Xcelsius with embedded data from Live Office

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear all

can i email an xcelsius dashboard that is created with a Live Office connection, and have that dashboard sent to anyone without having the need for the connection back to the original bobj server.

when i use the email functionality, download the swf attachment and try to open it, of course, it looks for the original connection back to the bobj server.

i was hoping the data would be embedded into the swf attachment

is this even possible ??

thanks

g

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

Xcelsius does not have offline capabilities out of the box; there are lots of posts on this already.

Your options are:

1. Embed the flash file into a Crystal report.

2. Look at some third party software (Flynet and Antivia come to mind, but I'm not that familiar with 3rd party products).

3. Manually open Xcelsius, go to the Preview view and click File > Snapshot > Flash, and then e-mail that file.

Hope that helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

can i use the orginal swf file with the live office source ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

Do you mean in conjunction with option 3? I think you will need to have a 2nd version of the xlf that has the LO connections, but does not trigger them automatically (add a connection button, make it invisible if you don't want your users to see it).

DG

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry, i mean with option 1

ta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nope, you would need to change your Xcelsius file to use Crystal as the data source.

You will notice in Crystal you can add a flash file, and that in Xcelsius you have to option of consuming a crystal report as a data source. So the flow of data goes:

Database > Crystal > Crystal Reports data Consumer > Xcelsius

The data you need for your dashboard will need to be in the Crystal report.

Search for Crystal in the Xcelsius manual and Xcelsius in the Crystal manual.

Former Member
0 Kudos

cheers. i'll give it a go

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi david, just one other thing. how on earth can you visualize the data from crystal, in the xcelsius design mode ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ha! That was my first question too.

As far as I could work out there's no easy way. Just:

1. Set up some dummy data in Excel the way you want it.

2. Check that you can get data through from Crystal in that format (only really tricky if you're using cross-tabs).

3. Set up connections.

4. Put a spreadsheet component on your canvas and map it to your cell range.

5. Run the thing.

Then (probably) lots of backwards and forwards...

Former Member
0 Kudos

yeah, sounds simple, but never done this

it's so frustrating. i am a programmer in sap for over 10 years, i have developed in BO for the last year, and xcelsius for the last 6 months, and never done a crystal report consumer xcelsuis. AND STILL i cannot figure this out

i guess our jobs are secured then !

cheers for the help

Edited by: Glen Spalding on May 20, 2011 7:02 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello !

how can I create a Crystal Reports data Consumer to use then in Xcelsius ? thanks!