cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Data from One AppSet to Another AppSet

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to copy data from one AppSet to another AppSet. That is, copy data from one Application to another Application, which are seating in two different AppSets. Would like to set it up as a Data Manager Package so that a user can run both the export (from source AppSet) and import (to destination AppSet) in a single package run.

I am new to BPC and would like to seek your advice on this topic. Please give me suggestions on the best approach.

Here is a preliminary thought. Start with the u201CImport SQLu201D example package supplied with BPC. Direct the SQL statement to read from the FACT, FAC2 and WB tables from the source AppSet. Then use the import process supplied with this package to import to the destination AppSet.

What do you think about this approach? Anything I should watch out for, e.g. security?

We are in the process of implementing BPC 7.5, Microsoft version.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can try doing the step which you have thought upon.

Alternatively, you can run the export DM package in the source application from the source appset. This will export the data into a flat file. Then login to the destination app of the destination appset and run the import package to load the flat file.

Hope this helps.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you nilanjan, Madis and YH Seo for your comments and suggestions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond Chu,

Sounds like you are working for Consolidation AND Planning.

Basically, the flat file approach has weakpoint from usability and security. If the copy data is for the power user(not by system administrator), it is fairly risky. Therefore you need to make the program which does not expose the file interfacing. I strongly recommend using SSIS with script task to transfer data from source to destination. If the data is not that much, then you can simply implement Stored procedure and let it in the DM(SSIS). The connection string you can have LINKED SERVER.

If the data movement is across Consolidation AND Planning, you always need to check the financial closing(by Work Status), since it could be very confusing if Planning gets data which is not closed from Consolidation from business perspective, therefore you need to negotiate with users on the closing and responsibility. If the closing is not matter of this requirement, you may simly implement transferring data whatever you use flat file or table to table interfacing, but if it should be obligated, you need to develop script task or stored procedure to read LCK table value before getting consolidated data.

Hope this helps,

YH Seo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Importing directly from another app(set)'s fact tables is quite straightforward. However some care needs to be takes e.g. if your source app has lots of data. In this case the DM could choke while trying to extract all records. We have done this several times but we always create views specifically tailored for the purpose e.g. filter by category, time &c.

Other than that - why not?

Best,

Madis