Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Regarding MDO

Hi,

As SAP Help says "An MDO is a semantic layer and level of abstraction on top of SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP MII) data acquisition mechanisms". I understand that the concept of MDO is to provide a data interaction layer between the User Interface and the Data sources. It is definitely useful for developing a product for multi plant deployment because the data interaction layer(MDO) works same even though the data sources changes from plan to plant.

Question 1: Would you please let me know my understanding is correct or wrong?

In several implementation we use the SQL DB layer to persist the transaction data or keep the master data to validate before we pass it to ERP.

Eg. MES can do the confirmation of a production order but before User does a goods movement during confirmation it should provide a valid Storage location to the Level 4 systems (SAP ECC or BAAN). To do this kind of validation MES also keeps a set of master data at MES layer.

For a similar scenario in MII we keep the Master data in SQL DB connected to MII.

Question 2: As we have Persistent MDO, do we design the application such a way that the transaction data and master data resides in MDO? I am assuming that we are not doing any more data base design in SQL to create the application, we are totally dependent on Persistent MDO.

Waiting for all the suggestions.

Thanks and regards,

Pradip

Former Member
replied

I think it boils down to MDO does not replace all the functions and features you get (and probably need) from a relational database.

But it is a powerful and useful tool for local data retention in place of the database.

Regards,

Mike

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question