cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background method in workflow hangs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a background method in workflow which calles a report. Actually the report calles smartforms and I am storing OTF data on application server. I am not displaying the print preview. I am just stroring the OTF data on application server.

When I explicitely execute the report from SE38 in background (using F9) file is getting generated on application server. But when I call this report from method of a workflow, method execution remains in process. And file is not generated.

I have used the RETURN statement while calling it from workflow method. What could be the reason for this??

Thandks in advance,

Neha Yeralkar.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the autometic customization through SWU3. All green or not.

Here RFC desitnation must be configured properly.

Thanks and regards,

SNJY

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

RFC destination is configured properly. But all options are not green.

Configure RFC destination is green.

Regards,

Neha.

former_member183917
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi-

Can you check the container values in the workflow log. Is the values are same, as if you run the method in foreground. Does the issue happens only for this background method or If all the background methods are having issue, if yes, check with the background user id WF-BATCH (like full authorisation or locked...)

Vinoth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Execute and test your method directly and see the program result.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I executed the method, its working fine when i execute it from SWO1.

Regards,

Neha.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

check if something is wrong with the WF-BATCH user, als check what the differences are between your user and the WF-BATCH user.

Check for language settings, printer settings and user parameters.

Kind regards, Rob Dielemans

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Calling transaction and Submit programs are usually reserved for dialog methods, where essentially all the workflow needs to do is take the agent to the transaction or program where the user can complete the business activity. For background methods usually call function modules or BAPIs are used where the business activity is performed automatically without any user involvement. Moreover it will help you in handling exceptions returned from Function modules. Also define the method exception explicitly based on the exceptions of FM, inorder to track it down if it occurs.

Regards, Saud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Issue resolved. There was a problem with binding of a method. From this thread it can be concluded that SUBMIT REPORT works fine when it gets called from a background method of a workflow.

Regards,

Neha.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

when a background workitem remains in process then usually a short dump occurred.

Just check St22 to further the investigation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have checked St22 for user WF-BATCH but there is not a single dump record.

Regards,

Neha.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also check SM58 and SM21