Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of SAP HANA to PI

former_member15918
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I would like to know, what benefits SAP HANA (in memory computing) can provide to PI 7.3 ?

I will appreciate your quick inputs. Thank you!

Regards,

Hema

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member472138
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hema,

Have a detail view

SAPu2019s In-Memory Appliance (SAP HANA) enables organizations to instantly explore and analyze all of their transactional and analytical data from virtually any data source in near real-time. Delivered on optimized hardware, HANA realizes the efficient processing and analysis of massive amounts of data by packaging SAPu2019s intelligent use of in-memory technology, columnar database design, data compression, and massive parallel processing together with essential tools and functionality (i.e. data replication, analytic modeling etc.), business content, and the SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (SAP BusinessObjects BI) solutions.

There are several HANA scenarios to consider.

• HANA can be leveraged as a high performance u201Cside-by-sideu201D data mart to your existing data warehouse or can take the place of a data warehouse (DW) if required.

• For customers who do not want to disrupt their existing BW + BWA setup, HANA can also be deployed as a high performance u201Cside-by-sideu201D data mart to provide u201Creal-timeu201C reporting and analytics. Existing BW customers leveraging BWA today can deploy HANA (with its BAE component) in a u201CBWA for BWu201D mode and receive the in-memory acceleration features equivalent to a BWA appliance.

• HANA can be deployed as the in-memory acceleration engine for BusinessObjects Explorer Accelerated version.

• SAP is providing customers an upgrade path to HANA.

HANA is in ramp-up, general availability (GA) is expected in July 2011.

IBM will be providing hardware offerings for HANA based on x3690 X5 and x3850 X5 building blocks.

Regards

Pothana

former_member15918
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Pothona,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please help me to understand how can we related all this to PI?

Regards,

Hema

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HANA and PI are quite unrelated. The nearest Netweaver component to HANA would be SAP BI. HANA is about analyzing and processing data across an organization. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

former_member15918
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Prateek,

Thanks a lot for your valuable input.

Regards,

Hema

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Prateek,

Interesting thought. Please correct me if I am wrong but I was going on the line that HANA enabled PI could eventually give quite efficient message processing engine since there are several steps where message is written to database with current architecture. Thus in memory processing should in general result in much better performance.

Regards,

Sachin

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sachin, you are correct. My answer was with the perspective of using HANA on PI 7.3, as asked in the question, which in my opinion is still theoretical and there are no customer stories available on it.

As you mentioned, "HANA enabled PI could eventually ", yes its "could eventually" but not at present. This therefore cannot be presented as case when it comes to consulting to customers. I too hope to see faster PI soon leveraging HANA

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Answers (0)