cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS Landscape Design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Day All

Can any one please help me with CPS landscape design , one of my clients have to implement CPS, They are looking for the lanscaep design , is it really required to be a 3 system lanscape(DEV-QUA-PRS), or 2 system (DEV-PRD)is fine.

Here are the list of our products in my client place ECC6.0 and BW3.5 , CRM7.0 and Solution Manager 7.01EHP1. we don;t have nay plans to integrate CPS with SOlMAN and I heard that CPS license available per sap instance , in this regard our R/3 sysetm got 5 instances and we are looking for a license only for R/3 system and CPS, and we are planning to implement CPS on a Standalone JAVA system . If this is the scanario how a landscape should look like can any one please advice me.... Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

As far the Landscape is concerned, it will be good enough to have one for non-production and other one for production ( NONPRD and PRD). This is to ensure that the changes such as patches/kernel are tested in development system before updating them on production.

When it comes to license, if you are planning to use the standard (free of charge) one, then please consider the below restrictions:

• Only SAP-Jobs can be scheduled (no non-SAP or OS Level Jobs)

• No Cross SAP-system functionality: Job chains can only be defined for single SAP systems

Thanks

PrakashP

Edited by: Prakash Palani on May 21, 2011 6:29 AM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phaneendra,

I would have to agree - a Non-Prod and Prod landscape is sufficient. Not only is it useful for patches/upgrades testing, but you are also able to segregate your Batch Jobs for Non-Prod vs. those for Production. This allows for you to test new functionality, new job chains, etc in Non-Prod CPS first as to not impact Production-critical Batch Jobs if negative impact were to occur. Keep in mind you can also develop a job definition/chain in Non-Prod, test, and Export/Import into Production changing only few parms. A manual transport-esque technique. Allowing you to develop/test new jobs, then migrate to Prod without having to recreate entirely and keep job build integrity intact.

0 Kudos

Yes, I also think one DEV/TEST system and one PRD system should be sufficient.

Regarding the licensing - 1 process server (scheduler) license is required for every SAP system you wish to run jobs in. (Not 1 license per instance). If you want to use platform agents to load balance between instances then you will need to install a platform agent on each SAP instance and so will require 1 process server license per instance. But for normal configuration 1 process server license per SAP system is required.

You can choose between the FREE version of CPS or the ENTERPRIZE version. With the free version you lose some functionality, such as the advantage of a central point of batch administration because you have to create connections to SAP system in separate 'Isolation groups' and you cannot schedule interdependencies between jobs running on different SAP systems using the free version.

Check the following links for some more information:

http://ecohub.sap.com/catalog/#!solution:centralprocessscheduling

Please award points if my answer was helpful!

David