cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error in refresh report

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a qurey. if I am refreshing a report , and in the midst of it an administrator starts processing a dimension , or runs optimisation, then my report gets interrupted and throws an error "EVDRE encountered an error retreving data from web server"

I would like to understand the following :

1. How to avoid this kind of error .

2. Even if I get this error ,what happens after the process of dimension or optimisation that the aministrator is running is completely finished ? will the report automatically start refreshing or do we have to close the report and open it again and start refreshing after the admin tasks are competely over ?

3.This become a serious issue when I put heavy files on refresh ,overnight.then if something gets interrupted at night ,then report has to be closed and I have to put it on refresh in the morning again . this is a real pain and a sheer waste of time .

Please let me know what generally happens next ? kindly help .

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

james_lim
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jitender,

Here are my answers.

1. There is no way to avoid this. usually, admin processing should be done at night.

2. User should run it again because dimension member might have different security.

You may need to log in again and execute report again.

3. I am not sure how big is your report but I had never seen a report that took more than 1 hour.

(Worst was 43 minutes but after optimize the report it only took around 20 minutes.)

So my recommendations are two things.

1. optimize report.

2. run the night batch processing job lately like 4 a.m.

Thank you.

James Lim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer, i have some more queries:

1.Running nightly batch at 4.00 a.m seems reasonable .however I would like to undersatnd what do you mean by optimising a report? I have done optimisation for a dimension . but how to optimise a report . Pls advice .

2.In my report there are 7 EVDRES. and around 50 tabs . so in totality there are 350 evdres which is getting expanded. so if do exapnd all - it takes 1.5 hrs and if I do refresh sheet by sheet - it takes 50 mts .

so will optimisation of report help ?

if I switch off the expansion of the report in all evdres , will it help in saving time .