Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disadvantages of field exits?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello friends!

i wanted to use field exits on ME11, as i dint get any badi, or exits, so at last i tried with field exits and my requirement got ful fill,.

but then my lead rejects this solution. and i finally have no options

now. i really want to know why i cant do it with field exits:(

6 REPLIES 6

madhu_vadlamani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Medha,

i wanted to use field exits on ME11, as i dint get any badi, or exits, so at last i tried with field exits and my requirement got ful fill,.

but then my lead rejects this solution. and i finally have no options

now. i really want to know why i cant do it with field exits:(

As you said if there is no badi or user exit how you did the field exit. Field exit is nothing but adding a new fields in the custom screen.

Regards,

Madhu.

0 Kudos

sorry madhu. but ur wrong, field exits not adding new fields in custom screen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Field exits allow you to create your own programming logic for any data element in the ABAP Dictionary. You can use this logic to carry out checks, conversions, or business-related processing for screen fields.

The biggest disadvantage of field exits is that the application server needs to be restarted for the field exit to take effect. Also Since version 4.6C, SAP has recommended against the use of field exits.

Regards,

Shyam.

0 Kudos

i know the disadvantages thoeritically.

i am asking why not for ME11?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Medha,

this may help u out..

regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Medha,

Please go through Note 29377 to get more insights.

Note

Field exits are frozen at the 4.6C maintenance level and are not further developed.

This means that the existing function remains with all restrictions (see also the last item below).

You can continue to use existing exits and call them during runtime.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Shyam