cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Solution Manager documents in mass through Knowledge Workbench

Former Member
0 Kudos

I posted this in another tread that was closed, but a co-worked recommended I post a new thread so others are encouraged to provide feedback on the process.

Following the process outlined by another user (Markus Mueller) from their blog linked below, I was able to download Solution Manager documents in mass to my PC from a project I specified using the Knowledge Workbench.

/people/markus.mueller8/blog/2011/04/01/solution-manager-document-management--using-sap-knowledge-workbench

Because of the naming convention my organization uses, we are able to pull documents by specific business processes.

Without a strict naming convention, the tool is not quite as useful but can still be utilized.

I also discovered after exporting to my machine, that documents created from templates within our system itself adopted the generic template names instead of their actual names from the repository.

The names were accurate in the knowledge workbench screen but were changed after exporting to my machine.

Documents not created from templates, but uploaded into the system adopted the proper names after being exported.

SAP Note (405481/2011) has been opened to hopefully address this for our system.

Hopefully others find this process as useful as we did.

After the note is addressed, this functionality will be incredibly useful.

Please let me know if anyone else tries this and how it works for you!

-Kris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I have used the process a few times, but never came across the naming problem if you create a document from a template.

In fact most cosnultants find the create from template very helpful and use it frequently.

Can you keep us updated with the result of the note? Would be great!

Cheers

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

This was the response I received from SAP on the note entered the other day:

-

18.05.2011 - 15:48:49 CET - Reply by SAP

Dear Mr. Clements,

actually this is correct, as this is the pysical filename of the

document. The title of the docuemnt is just an attribute.

The physical document name is either the name of the template, in case

that the it has been created from a template or, in case the document

has been uploaded (using the 'Insert Document' -> 'Upload File' in

SOLAR01/02) then the pysical file name is the name it had on the

local frontend where it has been uploaded.

This is stored in table SA01PHF. Actually the sepatare foldernames

are the PHIOs of the document.

One can see teh filename when using these Phios and take a look into

table SA01PHF (Physical Info Object Files).

Best regards,

Thomas Schmidt

Senior Support Consultant II

AGS Primary Support,

Business Suite & Technology

SAP AG

www.sap.com

-

This seems like a design issue with SAP.

Per our business procedures, the vast majority of our documentation stored in Solution Manager is created within the system from a small set of base templates stored in the repository.

So for example, one has a template called "Process Flow", which is used 500 times.

Each document is named uniquely but comes from one template. When pulling them with this process one ends up with 500 documents called "Process Flow"......

It would make more sense to adopt the name given to the document by the user. The way names are currently pulled now also does not account for changes to document names after the fact.

When exporting documents through the normal process in SolMan one by one, the correct name of the document defaults as the document name when saved, similar to how I expected pulling them in mass through the Workbench would work.

I will be contacting a resource we have worked with in the past on other Solution Manager issues to see if this is possible to have the system provide the information we need. I'll let you know what he recommends.

In the mean time, has anyone else tried this process creating documents within the system from templates?

If so, please let me know.

Thanks!

-Kris