Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDX formula error: "Invalid MDX command with ,"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've been trying to set up a formula on an ACCOUNT member:

SUM({[TIME].[FY10.JAN]:[TIME].CurrentMember},([ACCOUNT].[SALESOWN],[CATEGORY].[ACTUAL]))

But it fails to process the dimension and returns an error message:

Failed to expand K2 function for dimension ACCOUNT's member formulas

MDX statement error:"Invalid MDX command with ,"

Obviously it does not like the tuple

([ACCOUNT].[SALESOWN],[CATEGORY].[ACTUAL])

even though it is a perfectly valid syntax. Besides, I have tried a similar formula in APPSHELL and it worked fine.

What could cause this difference of behavior from one appset to another?

Thanks

Regis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So does it work if you replace the tuple with a constant number? If not, then it's not the tuple that's the problem.

Cheers,

Ethan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ethan,

If I replace the tuple with a constant or with a single member, say [ACCOUNT].[SALESOWN], it validates and works correctly.

Thanks

Regis

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is very strange. Each of the following work?

SUM({[TIME].[FY10.JAN]:[TIME].CurrentMember},[CATEGORY].[ACTUAL])

SUM({[TIME].[FY10.JAN]:[TIME].CurrentMember},[ACCOUNT].[SALESOWN])

Is there any more script logic as part of this script? Is the application type and storage type (Periodic vs. YTD) the same between this application and ApShell?

Thanks,

Ethan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

That's right. These two formulas also validate successfully.

Thanks

Regis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan again,

This formula is just as stated in the ACCOUNT dimension member. It is not in a script.

Thanks

Regis

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, missed that it was a member formula and not a script. I'm pretty much out of ideas about how this could work in one application and not in another. Maybe SALESOWN is a calculated member, which wouldn't normally be allowed but the validation might be failing if it isn't in a tuple, but I doubt that.

Can you share the formula that worked in APSHELL? Maybe that will give someone an idea.

Thanks,

Ethan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

If you want to test it in APSHEL, I can send you the steps by email. I recorded it in a Word document.

Thanks,

Regis

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Regis,

If you would, please put the instructions here so others can help. I don't think it's likely I'll be able to reproduce this in APSHELL any time soon, but if you share the steps I can see if anything rings a bell.

Best regards,

Ethan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know the topic is very old, but on a system sap bw 740 sp 14 (BPC 10.1 sp. 😎 I had the same error while modifying the formula YTD dimension MEASURES.

When I modified the formula, and I wanted to save it appeared the error: 'Invalid command with MDX,'.

The problem occurs only in environments where we do not have transactional data. After entering values for a number of intersections of the problem resolved.

Regards

Tomek

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomek,

Instead of writing in this old discussion please open a new one and provide full info about your case!

Including cube default storage type and formula text.

Vadim

P.S. And in general dimension member formula and custom measure are slightly different

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok. I will try to develop a document on the subject.

Tomek

0 Kudos

Hi Regis:

Please apply note 1662418 to see if your issue can be solved.

Thanks,

Weiwei