Please help me to understand Why we are using CHARM instead of normal PFCG

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please explain your question?

CHARM: you mean CHange Request Management using Solution Manager?

PFCG: transaction to create profiles

I don't see them related.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your reply.

yes you are right CHARM (change request mgmt).

I was working in Implementation project there i used CHARM to create transport request and transport team was moving it.

Now i am working in Support there they are creating transport request using PFCG so i want to know is there any specific difference or not.

Please help me to understand this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you misunderstood.

CHARM uses best practice (methodlogies) to manage changes effectively (using Solution Manager), on other hand you use transaction PFCG to create/manage roles (authorization).

Whatever you do using CHARM can also be done independetly in respective systems as well (i.e. creating transport etc) but doing it centrally and then distributing create more systematic approach and all changes are recorded in one place.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on CHARM and just know very basics of it so I would advice you to visit right forum on SCN: or use search.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I see what you mean.

If you use ChaRM you should not use local development anymore, and in fact that is what you are doing.

With ChaRM you (automatically) close the ability to create your own Transport Requests from SE09 for example.

BUT, and this is really important, this is project related, so if the team from Authorizations create their own project (in CTS) and this is not connected/related to any ChaRM project, they can do whatever they want. Create, release, transport requests.

This should be a big issue, because if another project does use the ChaRM functionallity and the authorizations team not, you could run into integration problems because the CTS without ChaRM, is not held back by the phase of the ChaRM project.

So everybody thinks they are doing OK in the integration test (phase) and all the time the authorizations are changed.

I think it should be determined "company wide" which road to follow, WITH (of course) or without ChaRM.

Hoping, this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I said in previous post, I am not on expert on ChaRM so can't help you much. Please post your question forum,

also note that you should use correct Subject to get attention of experts.

Regards,

Gourav

Edited by: Gourav Khare on May 24, 2011 9:36 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi R. Vriens ,

Thanks for your information.

I got bit idea now....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes,

I already did that.