cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPatch failed with error code = 73

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

trying to use OPatch for a set of generic patches returns the below error.

I am trying to set up a completely new SolutionManager instance and till now there is only the Oracle 11g software installed by the Oralce Universal Installer.

The next step according to the install guide is to implement the generic patches and this creates the error below.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Günter

J:oracleSMG112OPatch>opatch napply j:oracleSMG112generic_patches

========================================================

GENERIC OPATCH VERSION - FOR USE IN SAP ENVIRONMENT ONLY

========================================================

Invoking OPatch 11.2.0.1.3

Oracle Interim Patch-Installationsprogramm Version 11.2.0.1.3

Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Alle Rechte vorbe

alten.

UTIL session

Oracle Home : J:oracleSMG112

Zentrales Bestandsverzeichnis: C:Program FilesOracleInventory

von : n/a

OPatch-Version : 11.2.0.1.3

OUI-Version : 11.2.0.1.0

OUI-Speicherort : J:oracleSMG112oui

Speicherort von Log-Datei : J:oracleSMG112cfgtoollogsopatchopatch2011-05-

6_15-23-44PM.log

Patch history file: J:oracleSMG112cfgtoollogsopatchopatch_history.txt

Invoking utility "napply"

UtilSession nicht erfolgreich: NApply konnte die Liste der Patches fⁿr apply ni

ht ermitteln.

OPatch failed with error code = 73

J:oracleSMG112OPatch>

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

strange, if you just installed 11.2 the inventory shoudl be at leas readable with

opatch lsinventory -all

allthough I think you need to install the SBP first (with MOPatch) before you install generic patches.

@Markus: This german text shows up if you set the regional setting of windows (i.e date-format and dot-comma delimiters) to german.

Had big eyes the first time that happened to me

Even "runInstaller" speaks german (on W2K3 intl. english without lang-packs) then.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the inventory seems to be readable bacaus opatch lsinventory -all is working fine.

Anyway I have now installed all the generic patches separately and that worked fine - just the -napply version did not work.

Also opatch lsinventory -all is showing all the patches now.

The problem that I face now is that I cannot install the patch collection file for windows because the oci.dll is still locked and I cannot find which process is still using this dll.

Has anyone experienced this too?

I have already stopped all Oracle processes as well as the Distributed Transaction Coordinator but the oci.dll is still locked.

regards

Günter

0 Kudos

Hello,

you can use Process Explorer to check which process is holding the oci.dll file. If you work on Windows 2008(R2), don't forget to run Process Explorer as administrator (right-click on the exe then choose Run as administrator) otherwise you may not be able to find the process holding the lock on oci.dll.

Most of the time it is some kind of agent which holds a lock on this file (backup agent, VMware tools, etc ...)

Sébastien

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again and thanks for your information so far, now I have one more question regarding the Oracle part of a SAP installation.

According to the install guide (for SolutionManager 7.0 incl. EHP1) I have to:

1) Install Oracle with the Universal Installer

2) Apply generic patches

3) Apply patch collection

4) Start with the SAP installation itself using SAPInst

Now I have completed the Universal Installer task as well as the patches with OPatch.

I am a bit confused about the post installation setps in the patch README files because as far as I understood I have no user to connect with sqlplus to run any sql scripts as mentioned in the post installation steps of the README.

Furthermore the SAP Install Guide tells me not to perform these post install steps in the section of the generic patches but are the post install steps of the patch collection to be skipped too?

So can I continue with SAPInst after I have applied the patches with OPatch without doing any patch post install steps?

Thanks again and best regards

Günter

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Furthermore the SAP Install Guide tells me not to perform these post install steps in the section of the generic patches but are the post install steps of the patch collection to be skipped too?

Yes.

>

> So can I continue with SAPInst after I have applied the patches with OPatch without doing any patch post install steps?

yes.

Those SQL scripts are executing on a database. At the current state of your installation you don't have a database, you just installed the software --> no scripts are executable.

You can now proceed with the installation.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you using a GERMAN windows server? You're aware that only US english is supported?

Markus