cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all;

Im starting to play a little with NWDI, today I managed to install it on my computer, my goal is to modify an iview with NWDS but Im still stuck with the track process.

I create a new track and created 1 runtime system (DEV), in this track I added SAP_ESS component, everything ok, but when

I go to "Transport studio" I dont see this track in the dev tab, but in the assembly tab with status "waiting for assembly".

I actually dont know exactly where the track should be, nor what is the next step, I have been reading doc. like crazy but couldnt find a document explaing the process in detail.

Would you help me to understand the picture, what are the next steps to take this track to the NWSE?

Thank you a lot!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First you have to place the SCA into the CMS/inbox folder. Then you have to Check-In, and Import the SCA into development.

After that you can import the track into your NWDS and modify.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank both for your valuable answers!

Swaralipi, would you tell me how to place the SCA into the CMS/inbox folder?

Thank you very much,

Federico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have to take help from your basis consultant for this. He will be having the SCA which he has installed into the server. Take the SCA file from him and place it in the folder usr/sap/trans/CMS/inbox path inside your portal server. Then in the Transport Studio, you will find the SCA under the Check-In tab.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you again Swaralipi, I dont have a basis consultant, Im doing all this in my personal computer with IDES , I will try to figure out later how to take those SCA to the folder you told me.

I still cant understand what is the purpouse of the track then, I mean; I have already selected in the track the components I would like to modify, why then I have to manually go and copy those SCA? How the system knows that Im placing the same SCAs in the inbos folder that I selected in the track?

Thank you very much again!

former_member182598
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you select the components you want to modify you are just generating the templates. When you import the SCA then only actual code gets imported. There are reasons for this process to be decoupled. SAP doesn't provide source code for all the components like SAPBUILDT, JTECHS etc. However You can build components based on them, In java terms you can use them as jars, but you won't have source code for them (This is just to simplify for your understanding).

Now coming back to your question of how does the NWDI know which SCAs to import.

1. In The CMS click on Landscape configurator->Track data

2. In Developed software components, expand any of the tree node say ESS

3. This will show you the list of dependencies

This list is used by NWDI to import the correct software component to import.

This is one of the key strengths of NWDI where all the dependencies are imported at one central place, so that there is no version mismatch or inconsistency.

Thanks

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank Kumar, just 1 more question before closing the thread with solved to your previous answer; where I can get the SCA I want to modify to put them in the "ibox" folder? I have to cut/paste or simple copy/paste?

Thank you very very much!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You must be having a portal server. And the SCA has been deployed there- as you have added it to the track. The SCA that was applied has to be placed in the inbox folder.

When you add a particular SC to a track- it means you are adding the components for dependency- like if you develop any code in the track, it can use the DCs in the SCA in the track as dependent components. But, if you want to modify the code of that particular SCA, you have to import it again to get all the code into the track.

Thanks

former_member182598
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am assuming that you are creating the track to modify the ESS-MSS applications

You will need

1. SCA files for ESS MSS content, these scas will have source as well as deployables as SAP provides the source for ESS-MSS.

2. You will need scas for dependencies, as I explained earlier and it's mentioned in the XSS guide as well

Refer to http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ERPHCM/HOWTOGETRIDOFSPSTACKMISMATCHISSUES

To understand what should be the correct version depending on your Portal Version and backen version.

You can download the scas from Service Market place if you have got an ID with proper authorizations

1 login to https://service.sap.com/support

2. Navigate to Software downloads->Support Packages and patches->

3. Search for Support Packages and Patches

4. For ESS search for SAP ESS

Select the relevant SP level to download.

For dependencies you will have to similarly search for the scas depending on your portal SP.

Thanks

Prashant

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182598
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer to SAP note 872892 (attachment "NWDI cookbook for XSS") for step by step instructions.

Thanks

Prashant