cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caching issues on our production Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have noticed an issue with our production Portal and I have not yet found the root cause.

After being up for a while, it seems that the users have cached information that is being retrieved. Sometimes, this is not what was requested.

We first noticed this when we had applied transports to the Portal. The Production Portal consists of a CI and one additional application server on another VM server. If we did not stop / restart the Portal after transports, the original objects would display as opposed the new, changed ones received with the transport.

Today, we ran into a different situation. We had not sent any changed objects / transports into the production Portal. Users were displaying a course description from the course catalog of the E-Learning solution. The system would correctly display the first course chosen. If they then wanted to view the course description of another course in the catalog, regardless of what was selected, the system displayed the course description for the first course that had been chosen. It seemed the first page was cached and the system then displayed the cached information on subsequent requests.

The users could log off and back into the Portal but received the same course description from that first chosen course. My users even tried using a different PC to access the course information and continued to see the original, first course description.

So far, I have been unable to find a way to reset the cached information at the user level. Since the same information appears if the user accesses through a second computer, I do not believe the info is cached at the PC level but rather at the user level within the Portal.

Has anyone seen this type of situation before? Is there a setting that tells the system to not use cached data for a selection? Is there a place to reset user cache without having to bounce the entire Portal?

And then has anyone seen this elsewhere and could offer suggestions as to the root cause of the problem? I would rather resolve why this happens in the first place as opposed to clearing cache on a schedule or bouncing the Portal on a regular basis.

Thank-you,

Deb Nugent.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deb,

let's focus on the "course description from the course catalog of the E-Learning solution" problem.

Is that a portal (PAR) application or a Web Dynpro application? I'm not familar with the E-Learning solution, but my guess is that it is Web Dynpro application that get's the actual course data from the SAP ECC backend. Normally this is done by JCo. Can you clear the JCo cache?

br,

Tobias

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you try clearing cluster cache? Did that help?

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have tried clearing navigation cache and that has not helped.

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not navigation cache but cluster cache..I think it should help because it clears entire cluster cache without bouncing the server.

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deb,

There is a caching mechanism available at the iView level which has 5 ways of caching data - user, session, shared, role and none. Check if the iView has been cached at the user level, if yes then set it to none and retry. If the issue still remains unresolved, try recycling the server nodes one by one without bringing the cluster down.

Hope it helps,

Prathamesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

The places we have found for resetting cached data are the following:

System Adminstration -> Monitoring -> Knowledge Management -> Cache Monitor -. Clear Cache

System Administration -> Navigation -> Navigation Cache -> Clear Cluster Cache

System Administration -> Navigation -> Navigation Cache -> Clear Local Cache

System Administration -> Navigation -> Navigation Cache -> CollaborationConnector -> Clear Cluster Cache

System Administration -> Navigation -> Navigation Cache -> CollaborationConnector -> Clear Local Cache

System Administration -> Navigation -> Navigation Cache -> ROLES -> Clear Cluster Cache

System Administration -> Navigation -> Navigation Cache -> ROLES -> Clear Local Cache

I know there must be other areas as well but have yet to find them. Do you have the path(s) to other areas in which to clear cached information? Can you provide those paths?

Deb

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is one more option available to clear portal runtime cache. System Administration -> Support -> Portal Content Directory -> Pcd Administration. It will clear PCD content cache

If you want to clear the cache content in DB, you can simply paste this URL in browser.

http://<FQDN>:port/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.portal.prt.cache.PRTRegionDBClear

Do change the host and port parameters.

Similarly you can also clear specific cluster cache by entering following URL in the browser

http://<FQDN>:port/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.portal.prt.cache.PRTRegionMemoryClear

Have a look at this blog as well:

Ameya