cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Global Maintenenace project V One per landscape??

0 Kudos

Hello,

We are currently using Change management in Solution Manager for several different landscapes across Europe.

For each of these landscapes we have created a separate maintenance project linked to the landscape in question.

I understand it is also possible to have only __one global maintenance project__ linked to all landscapes to process our CHARM functionality.

My question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of each scenario?

Can we and Should we switch to using one global maintenance project in the future?

thanks

craig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Normally we do this on "Implementation project" scenario, like where you have One global template project and multiple Country specific Implementation projects this is done by utilizing the keywords within the project templates area of Solution Manager.

there are lots of advantage like

1.Minimize investment in redundant process development

2.Drive quick, repeatable project implementations

3. Compare and syncronize globally, make the change upto

4Allow transfer of leading practices across all lines of business

for more refer [Global Template and rollout functionality|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20c957bc-01bb-2c10-0bb1-ed8c458b5b09?QuickLink=index&overridelayout=true]

Thanks,

Jansi

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

As per my past 16 CHARMS implementations I can tell you it is better to have all the systems in one maintenance project

The main advantage is many times we have a change which is implemented across several systems not only one

so while importing this needs to be imported in all the systems.Therefor if you have one project you need to lock one project

But in other case you have to lock several project

Reporting is also more clear otherwise for the same problem there will Ticket A for one landscape and Ticket B for another

otherwise you just have single Ticket comprises of all the systems for one common problem

and many more.......

Let me know if you need more clarification

Regards

Prakhar

Edited by: Prakhar Saxena on May 13, 2011 4:33 PM

0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar,

Thanks for your reply,

I would like to get some further clarification.

Currently we have 6 different CHARM landscapes, each landscape has its own different maintenance project.

We are thinking of merging these 6 landscapes under 1 global maintenance project.

But to me, this seems risky, because if we get some kind of problem with the maintenance cycle,

or if it can't be created for the corrections, then it all our systems globally will be affected.

Whereas currently, only that particular landscape is affected and the others are not as they have their own separate maintenance cycle.

One of the reasons why we think it would be beneficial to merge them is so that we could then link that global maintenance project

to the global solution which we intend to create. I'm told this link between solution and maintenance project is necessary if we wish to implement the "Top Issues" functionalilty. Does this make sense to you and do you think that this link is necessary to have for enable future functionality?

Could you ease my fears by stating some more advantages of having 1 maintenance project linked to many landscapes via the logical components as opposed to have many maintenence project working separately?

Also, what would be the process for closing down the existing 6 maintenance project and re-starting with the 1 new maintenance project.

Many Thanks for your help

Craig

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

We are thinking of merging these 6 landscapes under 1 global maintenance project.

But to me, this seems risky, because if we get some kind of problem with the maintenance cycle,

or if it can't be created for the corrections, then it all our systems globally will be affected.

Yes it is better to have them all in single landscape or one project because as I said earlier

1 For common problem which goes across multiple systems like ECC BI EP you need to raise 3 tickets or more but the problem remain the same

2 you need to monitor all the tickets to make the work in sync which is pretty difficult task

3 you dont need to afraid of any problem with maintenance cycle because once you refresh you project CHARMS in solar_project_admin you will come to know in case there is a problem

4 you get much better reporting if you are going single project way instead of 6 different project because a user even though assigned to 6 tickets might be working on a single problem only

5 It is easier to maintain this way ---the order of work or task accomplished,management of teams etc

what would be the process for closing down the existing 6 maintenance project and re-starting with the 1 new maintenance project.

you can close all the ticket then close the maintenance cycle followed by project

OR

you can create your new project with all landscape then create some new TR and copy the contents from previous requests

then close the previous ones

I hope your doubt is clarified

Regards

Prakhar

Srini_selva
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhakar,

During the recent analysis of moving from multiple maint project to one global maintenance project, I got to know the following risks.

By maintaining the multiple system landscape into a Single Maintenance project could have impact on the consistency of CHARM. Since the SMP system is acting as a large range system, in case any of the satellite system fails to communicate to Solution Manager, the associated Maintenance project will fail to work consistently.

So when one of the system doesnu2019t work, the maintenance project will show as u201CNO MAINTENANCE CYCLE FOUND

Kindly let me know is there a way around to mitigate the above risk.

Regards

Srini