cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to take snapshot of Dashboard Designed in Xcelsius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Is it possible to take the snapshot of dashboard. My requirement is to save daily dashboard reading.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can we use the saved settings , the next time we execute our dashboard?

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you mean to say that you want a default scenario every time you open your dashboards. You can set a saved scenario as default, so next time it will take the saved scenario as the default.

Good Luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I searched the SDN and it seemed that we can only save the scenario. Correct me if I am wrong. In my situation we need to save the data as well, like a backup copy.

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can very well save the data along with the scenario in what if analysis, you have to make sure that you wont load data (means the option available in the Data Connection ) on dashboard execution, rather we provide a refresh button for data refresh.

Get back if you need further clarification.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your valuable inputs. There are few other things that need to know:

1. Can we automate the process of saving the snapshots of dashboards.

2. Is it possible to save the data (comments) from Dashboard to some file.

3. Can the runtime changes made on the dashboard is visible to all the users at different nodes accessing the same dashboard?

Help will be appreciated.

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Coming back to your requirements:

1. Automating the process of saving scenario , as that of scheduling it not quite possible right now with present release.

2. You can very well save the comments with the help of local scenario button just provide an option for text entry from the users.

other way to save it in the form of XML file but that need some knowledge of scripting language. You can use the External interface along with scripting language (javascript, ASP etc). save the data in the form of XML file and read it back. Although I dont have any article on this. you can find out a sample of External Interface from the setup file of the Xcelsius.

3. data saved with the help of Scenario Button is only available locally. other users cannot access the saved file. the file is saved in a .sol file (just like cookie) you can send these file to the target computers if required. But if the number of users are large or their systems are not fixed, then this process is not feasible. (see if it is applicable in your case). the other thing is that now browsers have the functionality to delete the sol files from the local system as that of deleting cookies. So this might be an issue.

See if above information is helpful.

Good Luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Debjit it information is really helpful. From developers point of view scheduling option is quite important.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one provide ma a sample code for saving data back to a file, or some other way to achieve this.

Answers will be awarded.

sriramvijay_ravidoss
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have a look at this link it will help you.

http://blog.davidg.com.au/2011/03/saving-scenarios-in-xcelsius.html

regards,

Sriramvijay.R

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i have a similar question/request and figured id post it here instead of making a new thread:

i realize you can do certain things by saving 'scenarios' but is there a solution out there to take a static snapshot of a deployed dashboard and save it within a pdf or jpeg? this way 1 user who accesses the dashboard can adjust the data how they want it to be displayed and email out this static snapshot to workers of Group A who are interested in this specific data. then the user can adjust the dashboard slightly and send a new snapshot via email to works of Group B. this way not everyone is required to access and adjust the dashboard to see the data they want. (i'm looking for a different option aside from the Print button and installing a PDFCreator print driver and also not exporting the data to XML, because itd be nicer if all users could see the fancy looking dashboard instead of reading data line for line)

any help would be greatly appreciated it. i havent found a component that can do this, so i'm guessing somehow it needs to be done in code? OP, if you'd prefer i post this in a seperate thread just let me know. don't want to intrude on yours but also figured i'd keep similar questions in similar threads.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@BIBO, the (totally excellent) article referenced in the post above yours explains in detail how to save to a file to read again later.

@Scott, yeah this is a limitation of Xcelsius. You're only real option (that I know of) is for the users that must create those dashboard to distribute have the Xcelsius client, they would open the xlf, go to Preview mode, adjust sliders, etc, and save that version as a snapshot.

In other words, the functionality is there, but it's in the Xcelsius client, not in a swf.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any way that I can save data from Dashboard back to some local file and read it whenever required.

Article on this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes. You can take the snapshot by previewing your dashboard, then go to File->Snapshot and take the snapshot in Flash,HTML,SWF formats

Regards,

Anju Saseendran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anju , let me re frame my question again. What I mean to say that is it possible to give the functionality of snapshot to users , so that they can keep a backup for later reference.

Thanks.

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I am not wrong you might be looking for some thing like saving the scenario of the dashboard as a backup. You can use local scenario button for the same. This standard component is very much useful in what if scenarios, where one might want to save the what iff scenario of the dashboard.

Hope above info is helpful.

Good Luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Debjit,

Could you please tell be where to find this component. If this some kind of add on can you please provide me the link.

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Local scenario is a part of standard component provided with Xcelsius. You can find it under others tab.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me try this. I ll get back if I face any issue.

Thanks