cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install/patch SAP GUI from server without admin-permissions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using an installation-server to install and upgrade SAP GUI on the clients. Most on the users are logged in without admin-permissions on the PC. When they install GUI for the first time they rightclick the setup-file and uses "Run as.." to specify an user with admin-permissions, this works fine. BUT when I later patch the installation-server to a new patch-level the clients will try to automatically upgrade but this process will fail due to insufficient permissions.

Any tips on how ro solve this?

Edited by: Thor Egil Ekeli on May 13, 2011 9:17 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Thor

please use the Local Security handling ( LSH )

It is described in the frontend Installation Guide which you will

find in the docu folder of your sapgui source cd.

Also please use the "installation server help.chm" file which you will find

in the setup folder of your installation server.

All things are described there.

best regards

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, and thanks for your answer. I have tried to set up LSH, but after pressing the last "Next" I get an error-message saying "Could not start DS as a service". Any tips on this?

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Old thread, but in case others are looking at this, you will get this error if the account you use for the DS doesn't have local administrator permissions to the DS server.  It's probably possible to configure the account with less than full administrator rights, as long as it has access to the network share and folders where the installation files are, and full rights to a particular key in the registry (see Note 1162270 for the key, and other troubleshooting tips for LSH), and "log on as a service", etc, permissions at the OS level.  I haven't tried this, though.

--Matt