Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag and Drop with Calendar functionality in BSP/WebDynpro

niranjan_yerraguntla
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure where to ask this information. First trying in this forum.

We are looking for a scheduling software-kind of functionality within SAP. We get service calls from customers if there is any leak on the roof. We would like to know if we can provide drag and drop functionality in BSP/Webdynpro. We are envisioning left pane with Leak Notification # (could be 25-30 Notification calls per office) and calendar(month or week) functionality on right pane of the page. The service manager can drag and drop Leak Notification # into Calendar on the right pane OR move around within Calendar. When they do that, we want to update certain custom table fields in SAP. Do you think this can be done in BSP or Webdynpro for ABAP easily. If so, can you point us in the right direction ?

Regards,

Niranjan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

From NetWeaver 7.01 and higher there is drag and drop functionality in Web Dynpro ABAP. You could such drag and drop planning. We use this internally in the floorplan manager for screen design:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/5713041356/in/photostream

I guess the only downside is that the calendar control in WDA isn't that detailed nor would it accept drops on individual days. I would actually suggest using the Table UI element with different cells for your different dates/times instead of a calendar. You can make the Table look very calendar like.

niranjan_yerraguntla
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas for the response.

When you say ' Table UI element ', is it in Webdynpro ABAP or BSP ? We have not started using Webdynpro yet. However, we have used BSP extensively for our custom applications like E-Portal etc. We have a calendar-like table UI in BSP that displays vacation/sick information of employees by office. However, it does not have drag and drop functionality.

If you are that Thomas Jung that wrote 'Advanced BSP programming', that book has helped us quite a bit during BSP application coding. Thanks for writing that book with Brian McKeller. Most of the content in the book is good, except a few which could have been written differently so it is easy to understand.

Do you know of any 3rd party Scheduling software that can be easily integrated with SAP ?

Thanks

Niranjan

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>When you say ' Table UI element ', is it in Webdynpro ABAP or BSP

I was referrring to Web Dynpro ABAP. If you are used to the SAP delivered HTMLB UI elements (and XHTMLB and PHTMLB), you will find that most all are present in WDA and often in better versions.

There is no SAP delivered drag and drop functionality in BSP. There is in WDA. However, in BSP you can always use a third party javascript library like jQuery to do Drag and Drop.

>If you are that Thomas Jung that wrote 'Advanced BSP programming',

Yes that is me as well.

>Do you know of any 3rd party Scheduling software that can be easily integrated with SAP ?

You are pretty far a field of the topic at hand this forum. I'm afraid I couldn't help with this question.

niranjan_yerraguntla
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks once again for the reply Thomas.

Yes, we have used XHTMLB and PHTMLB extensively.

One last question if you don't mind since you now work for SAP. We have 1-2 BSP applications written without MVC pattern. We are thinking to convert that to MVC using Webdynpro ABAP. Do you suggest that for any new applications we should start using Webdynpro ABAP and not BSP ? I look at Webdynpro as ABAP query(with not much flexibility) and BSP as normal ABAP coding (which offers more flexibility). Is my assumption correct ? I want to know where SAP is investing in future; is it Webdynpro OR BSP ?

Also, do you know if SAP has come out with new themes like Design2009 or Design2010 or Design2011. We currently use Design2003 and it does not work well with Firefox or Chrome.

Thanks once again for writing that book. In fact, I will be training one of my colleague next week on BSP and I am planning to go throu your book this weekend to refresh my memory before training her.

Niranjan

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

> I look at Webdynpro as ABAP query(with not much flexibility) and BSP as normal ABAP coding (which offers more flexibility). Is my assumption correct ?

I would not say that is correct. Web Dynpro ABAP is very powerful, although it removes the need to understand much about HTML or JavaScript. BSP has more freedom if you want to create your own custom look and feel, but WDA is more powerful for creating business applications for the replacement of the SAPGUI where you want a common look and feel to all applications.

>I want to know where SAP is investing in future; is it Webdynpro OR BSP ?

Only Web Dynpro ABAP is used in the Business Suite (with the exception of CRM - which uses CRMUI based upon BSP).

>Also, do you know if SAP has come out with new themes like Design2009 or Design2010 or Design2011. We currently use Design2003 and it does not work well with Firefox or Chrome.

Yes. Design2008 is shipped with NetWeaver 7.02 and higher. It offers offical support for Safari on Mac (and therefore better compatibility with webkit based browsers).

former_member211591
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I am looking for a solution for a calendar realization with drag & drop functionality of appointments within this calender. So I found your screenshot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/5713041356/in/photostream

May be I could use that to realize my calendar. Would you please tell me in a few words which UIElements & techniques you used to realize this ZBP_BASIC_FORM?

We need to have an calendar in which we can organize appointments. It should be possible to drag and drop an appointment from one day to another. It should also be possible to have an appointment over several days. (An appointment, compared to your screenshot, like "MIDDLENAME" in columns A,B,C)

Thanks for your tipps,

ismail

Answers (0)