cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naviagational vs Regular dimensions with hierarchies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I am trying to understand the difference between a navigational dimension and a regular dimension with hierarchies in SPM. Does anyone has any documentation that can help me understand the difference?. Or can explain the difference to me?.

Thanks! Claudia.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claudia,

Navigational dimension function is similar to a BW hierarchy. The end user would not know the difference. But navigation dimension is build using multiple dimension. A good example is Time dimension. This hierarchy does not exist in BW, it uses the filter and drill down functionality to simulate a hierarchy. In the 'Time' dimension the system starts with Calendar Year, once the user selects a specific year the system filters on that year for dimension 'Calendar Year' and drills down on the next dimension which is Calender Quarter. For the user this feels like a BW hierarchy. The advantage is this hierarchy need not be maintained in BW. These types of hierarchies can be created on the fly in SPM. Several such hierarchies are provided out of the box and customers can also create them.

Hope this explains how Navigation Dimension works compared to BW hierarchy.

Regards,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it is clear now. Thank you Rohit!

Answers (0)