cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting on non BW systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to BOBJ but understand that it is possible to use external systems and/or flatfiles for reporting in BOBJ tools rather than have to develop the extract and data flow to bring the data into BW. Does anyone have any experience with this in a high user base environment and are there any points that I should avoid when using this feature? Examples of clients where this technology has been used would also be really useful.

Thanks,

Gareth Findley

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

which product from SAP BusinessObjects would you use or what kind of reporting are you looking to create ?

regards

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

Predominantly it will be using BO Dashboards but there will also be some requirement to use Crystal and WebI and potentially join data so that a single record will contain data from multiple sources. The systems I will be retrieving are quite varied and range from flat files (CSV and xls), operational databases (oracle I think) and I think there is a also an OLAP database (IBM balanced warehouse) that we would potentially want to report from.

The type of reporting is also very varied as the project I am on covers finance, supply chain and store reporting for a large retail client.

Thanks,

Gareth

Edited by: Gareth Findley on May 13, 2011 9:01 AM

0 Kudos

Hi,

on this variety of Datasources i would recommend that you check one of our Enterprise Information Management Tools like Data Federator or Data Services.

It would make more sense to first consolidate the data from all the sources into one DWH and report off from that. You would have greater Performance and cross reporting would be possible.

f.e. in the current release its sometimes not possible to join multiple datasources into one report. This will change wit the BI 4.0 release.

But going for a DWH is the better way.

Regards

-Seb.

Answers (0)