cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versioning issue. Can it be made similar to Windchill PDMLink ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Friends,

I have one question related to versioning in SAP DMS. In many product data management tools (PDM tools) like Pro/Intralink or in Windchill PDMLink, when we check in the data say a document into the PDM, it will initially create a version say 0.1(n). Then every further check-in's will result in increment of versions by (n+1). At some point of time, when we feel, it can be released for production, we will assign a revision say A and the version becomes A.0. Then every further check-in's will result in A.1,A.2 ..Etc till we modify the revision to B where in again it will become B.0.

If I think of matching this in SAP using DMS, if I add the document in originals and check in the document to content server, I can see only the versions ( in this case, it cats like revision I guess) say AA is there. Then if I edit the original and again check in back, I need to change the status ( if status change box clicked in respective document type) to save the original. It will not even ask for status change if not clicked in document type. Save if I change originals 5 times, I can see those five changes in drop down menu but not like version numbers like in PDMLink. Can anyone help me to know if there is any possibility to have versions and revisions work like that of Windchill PDMLink in SAP DMS ?

Regards,

SM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sudarshan,

I believe we have discussed this in other forum as well. The exact feature from Windchill cannot be replicated in SAP DMS. Storing versioning and revisioning information within the file name is a very old practice and is no longer recommended.

Proper use of content versioning (this is similar to check in check out versioning in windchill), manual Versioning, status management and revision functionalities from ECR/ECO should be more than enough to handle product design documentation using SAP.

regards,

N K

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sudarshan,

You can go to the Originals tab, edit the original file, at the time of check in you have a option to check in the original as new version. This is not the document version but the version of the original file. You can also configure this in the status management at what status a new content version has to be saved.

Hope this helps..

Thanks,

Sapian