cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between ODBC and OLE DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I remember from my CR 2008 exams that we only explicitly spoke about ODBC connections. However, it's just as easy to setup an OLE DB connection. In fact, if I use an OLE DB connection on Crystal Reports Server, then no ODBC Data Source needs to be created on the server side. Seems easier to me.

Have I missed something? Why would I use an ODBC connection ever again as OLE DB is just as easy? According to some, OLE DB is faster as well.

Have a nice day,

Val

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Val,

I agree, OLE DB is faster because typically it's the native engine, or it is for Ms SQL Server. ODBC usually require an native client to be installed so if you add ODBC it adds another layer on top of the client. If CR has a natvie driver then use it, if one is not provided then use OLE DB. ODBC for simplicity or if it's the only option.

ODBC is always used because all of the connection info can be pre-set and for training it's easier. For end users though OLE DB or the native drivers are the preferred methods I recommend.

Other concerns are the DB being used, some only have ODBC so you have no option.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok thanks for the comprehensive information.