cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download com.sap.portal.navigation.contentarea par file

owen_carnes
Participant
0 Kudos

I am trying to download the com.sap.portal.navigation.contentarea par file so that I can modify it and upload it with a new name. I found the file in the Support Desk of the portal, and I downloaded it just fine. However, when I download it it was in the form of com.sap.portal.support.browse.zip. I tried to extract the files from there, and I came up with com.sap.portal.support.browse.

How can I get this in the form of a par file to import into NWDS? I have imported par files into NWDS before, but I nothing I am trying is working, because I can't get it into the .par or .par.bak formats.

Thanks,

Owen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Owen,

I have found issues with unzipping the files with Winzip when I download files from a unix portal system. In that case, I suggest you unzip using winrar. I just tried doing the same in my system. I download the com.sap.portal.navigation.contentarea.par.bak file from the 'ROOT/WEB-INF/deployment/temp' folder in the portal system admin->support. It downloaded as 'com.sap.portal.support.browse.default'. I 'unRAR'ed the file to find 'com.sap.portal.support.browse.default' folder and then again 'unRAR'ed it to extract the 'com.sap.portal.navigation.contentarea.par.bak' file.

And I was able to import the par file (without the .bak extn) in NWDS. But using Winzip, it failed.

Hope it helps,

Prathamesh

owen_carnes
Participant
0 Kudos

Prathamesh,

That is exactly what I used to do with 7zip to extract .par files. However, it does not seem to be working anymore. I downloaded winrar to try that, but I get the same result. I can extract the files from the com.sap.portal.support.browse.zip file with either 7zip or winrar, but either way, I am left with the com.sap.portal.support.browse folder. Neither program will let me extract anything from that folder, because there isn't any archive that they can find.

Any ideas? Is there a specific thing you do to "unRAR" an archive, or did you just mean extract the files using winrar?

Thanks,

Owen

Former Member
0 Kudos

By unRaring I simply meant uzipping using WinRar. There are two things which I would like you to look into

1. Size of the par application when you download the par file.

2. Size of the 'com.sap.portal.support.browse folder' when you try to unzip the folder.

Does it show you content size when you try to unzip or is it 0 kb.

Alternatively, you could try viewing the par file, extract it, and then create a new portal application and simply copy the contents of the extracted file. See if this works.

Hope it helps,

Prathamesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi owen ,

Try to open the downloaded (.default file) using winrar and then you will find the com.sap.portal.support.browse folder and inside the folder you will get par.bak file .

I just tried that.

Thanks,

Sandip

owen_carnes
Participant
0 Kudos

Prathamesh,

The com.sap.portal.support.browse.zip file is 7.73KB, and the com.sap.portal.support.browse folder is 30.6KB. That second folder contains an "html" folder, a "scripts" folder, and "file_list.txt".

Thanks,

Owen

owen_carnes
Participant
0 Kudos

Sandip

The original file that I download from the support desk is a .zip file, not a .default file. (Some are one, some are the other). If you have a chance, please download the contentarea zip file and try what you just described with winrar. I tried it, and there is no .par file contained in that folder.

Thanks,

Owen

PradeepBondla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi...

Keep double clicking on the file (or right click and explore/open)... after 2-3 steps you will find .bak file....

now right click on the .bak file and select "save to specific location" give the folder where you want to save .bak.

That is it...

-PradeeP

owen_carnes
Participant
0 Kudos

Pradeep,

I explained above what I get when I try to open the file. If I just double-click on the com.sap.portal.support.browse.zip file, I get an "html" folder, a "scripts" folder, and "file_list.txt". Please try to download the contentarea.par file yourself, and let me know if your instructions did indeed work for you.

Thanks,

Owen

PradeepBondla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK done...

I am doing it and explaining you step by step same time...

1. logged in to portal -> system administration -> support -> ROOT/WEB-INF/deployment/pcd

2. clicked download link beside com.sap.portal.navigation.contentarea.par.bak file.

3. downloaded/saved to my desktop

4. Now I have file com.sap.portal.support.browse.default on my local machine.

5. Right click on this . default file and select Add to "com.sap.portal.support.browse.default.rar" --- this is the important step...*

6. Now you have com.sap.portal.support.browse RAR / ZIP file (no extension will be added, you can check it by file format).

7. Keep on double clicking on rar file till you see .bak file.

8. Once you are at / you see com.sap.portal.navigation.contentarea.par.bak then right click on this file and select "Exctract to specified folder" ...

9. Change the path to where you want to store .bak.

10. rename it to .par by removing .bak.

That is it... its all yours to modify/customize...

Hope this is clear to you.... let me know If you see anymore issues.

As you asked for... I have done it in my system and writing it to you....

-PradeeP

owen_carnes
Participant
0 Kudos

My fault everyone, I was downloading from the wrong location. I was downloading from ROOT / portalapps instead of ROOT / WEB-INF / deployment / temp or pcd. Thanks for your help, I got it now!

Thanks again,

Owen

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Owen ,

Go to ROOT/WEB-INF/deployment/temp under browse deployment and download the file.

Open that file using winrar or winzip .

Then you will get the par file as par.bak extension and rename it to .par extension and then you will be able to use it for your development.

Thanks,

Sandip