cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic creation of BW data flow documentation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

I need to write documentation of the data flow of a huge project which I haven't implemented by myself.

The documentation should contain a mapping of the objects in the dataprovider, towards objects in the source system(s).

Eventually with the info in which dataproviders the objects are included, e.g. between the multiprovider and the source system.

Details of transformations can be ignored; eventually mentioning there's a routine involved, but that's the maximum.

With the data repository, I can have the content of cubes in a graphical overview, but it doesn't really provide me useful information.

You can imagine I prefer an automatic way to create this documentation.

Anybody who knows a solution, even if it only provides part of the purpose?

Any solution via query, standard SAP or customized program, ...

Recommendations would be very highly appreciated!

Thx & Rgds, sam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Worldwide documentation is made on SAP BW projects, but no reply on automatic documentation.

A lot of time must be lost by manually creating documentation on mapping objects to source system fields.

==> SAP, please, work out a solution.

I didn't find a satisfying solution, but I've done it the following way:

List all objects for a multiprovider via the meta data repository, and paste in excel document.

Then listing all objects for the underlying dataproviders, and paste in separate sheets of this excel.

Compare the objects of the MP with the objects on the other sheets using excel functions, and sign when a dataprovider contains a certain object.

For the datasources, I checked if an object is present, and if yes, give the original source field.

This in summary as a not optimal and not complete solution, but it prevents making mistakes.

Rgds. sam