cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home page with workset site map

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I would like to have a kind of home page by using workset site map.

!I have 4 applications in the portal (4 roles to manage different activities : sales, purchasing ...)

I would like to have a home page with 4 workset site mapviews which represents the roles.

I try to build like this :

Role Home page

workset Home page

iview Home

>>> role sales

>>> different iviews ...

>>> role purchasing ...

In fact I would like to assign the role home page, and restrict to the other roles. If the user hasn't the role Sales for example, he should see (or not) the icon in the home page but coudl'nt clic and go the Sales views.

But now, when I assigned only the role Home page, the user can see Sales & purchasing even if he hasn't the corresponding role.

Can someone help me please?

I hope it is clear

Thanks

Kind regards

Véronique

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi véronique,

By having this design you are defeating the purpose of a role here which ideally should show you ONLY the content which you are authorized to view. So by displaying the sales role for a 'purchasing' guy and by not allowing him to click isn't the best way of authorizing or displaying data.

What you need to do in your case is, create 5 roles - 4 roles for your 4 applications and 1 Home role. Each user type would have 2 roles - Home Role and his/her own role (Sales, Purchasing etc)

Now you need to leverage the merge concept to help you design the hierarchy. Set the Home role with the 'highest' merge priority so that it shows up in the navigation. Set the merge ids to be the same for all the roles/worksets and structure it in a way so that the roles and worksets merge and the correct content is shown to the authorized user.

So, eventually the user would end up seeing the 'Home' role in the navigation hierarchy and would get to see the authorized content under the 'Home' workset when the objects merge.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope it helps,

Prathamesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply, it seems clear. I will try and let you know.

Is it possible in this way, to have the home page as a workset site map with icon for each activity instead of a menu tree ?

Thanks

Kind regards

Véronique

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, That is possible. What you need to do is add a workset Map iView under each of your worksets (Sales, Purchasing) etc, hide it in navigation and provide it as a default entry point. Let me illustrate this point.

HOME ROLE<----

Sales Role (merge into home role)

HOME Workset<----

Sales Workset (merge into home workset)

Workset Map iView (hide in navigation, set as default entry for folder, close detail nav )

Sales Pages/iViews

Now in the above hierarchy, the Home role and workset would be available to the user with a workset map displaying the Sales Pages and iViews to the 'Sales' user.

Hope it helps,

Prathamesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great, It's worked very well. I understand how work the merge and the workset map.

Last question, is it possible to see all the activities in the site map instead of only my authorized activities.

And when I click on a link in the map, the system told me if I have the authorization or not ?

Thanks

Kind regards

Véronique

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, that is not possible the way you want it (should display the icon to the user but should not be clickable) and more so it defeats the purpose of having security through roles if you want to show everything to everyone.

However, if you still want to try that you can add all the iViews to all the roles like sales, purchasing iViews to both sales and purchasing roles and try to restrict the access at the iViews' permission level. So the users would be able to see all the icons in the workset map and be able to click those as well but when they try to open the iViews they would end up getting runtime exceptions. So, this would not be a neat solution and I would suggest you to refrain from implementing it.

Hope it helps,

Prathamesh

Answers (0)