cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating Bing Maps into Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a requirement to integrate Bing Maps (or a Corporate GIS) soultion in to one of our applications. Could anyone give me some suggestions for the best practice to integrate Bing maps in to SAP Portal? I would appreciate if you can suggest me of what technologies to use to acheive this. Thanks.

Regards,

Gopal.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gopal,

I do not have experience with Bing maps, but we have intergated google maps and other gis providers using IFrame UI element and portal events.

In 7.02 , it would much easier to integrate GIS using iFrame and WDA pagebuilder.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your reply. My client is on 7.02 and have no plans to upgrade to 7.02 in the near future. So, using IFrame's and Page builder is no good for us Looks like we need to use BSPs to build the solution. Has anyone done this sort of stuff using BSP before? If so, I would greatly appreciate your help if you can help me in suggesting a proper solution. Thanks.

Regards,

Gopal.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm just curious. What exactly is bing maps for in your application? WIll there be information extracted from it or is it plainly for using the bing-maps page (like you would just open your browser and open bing maps). Because, if it is just for "using" bing-maps without data-wise relevance for your application, you could just embed an url-iview to the page in your portal in addition to your application iview. That way you wouldn't have to touch your WebDynpro.

best regards, Lukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Its just not to display bing maps in the browser! We are planning to use a mapping solution to pin-point the location of a project in bing maps. So we have to pass some parameters to the maps and diplay it alongside the application in the page. I hope this explains my requirement. Thanks.

Regards,

Gopal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

I am assuming that you have some data that needs to be GeoCoded into the Bing Maps, so that the information which you retrive from the database is displayed at corresponding locations. If that is the case, then I guess its best to use the Javascript API found in the Microsoft website (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd877180.aspx). But first you need to get a unique key for the Bing Maps from the microsoft website. After which you get the latitude and longitude of the positions where you have to display data. Now you have to pass the latitude and longitude as parameters along with your other parameters from the database into the functions of the javascript that you write for integrating the Bing Maps. You might have to use display objects like push pins and info boxes to display the data. So the flow is like:

Retrieve data from database -> Store in variables -> Pass these variables along with the latitiude and longitude of the corresponding locations to Java script code -> add push-pins and info boxes to display the required data.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Nanda