Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web service problem (Timeout)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello

i hope this is the right category to post my problem

i want to use the service "customerCRMChangeRequestConfirmation_In"

but i get this error message: "Error getting response; java.net SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out.

on my search to fix this problem i found the SAP Note 826419.

with following advice:

===========================================================================================

Version NW 7.10

• Using NetWeaver Administrator

o For standard Web service deployable proxy:

1. Open SAP NetWeaver Administrator in a browser: http:// "Web Services Administration".

3. Choose "Proxy Definitions by Name" and click "GO".

4. Select the proxy you want to configure.

5. Choose the "Configuration" tab.

6. Choose the "Logical Ports" tab.

7. Select the logical port you want to configure and choose "Edit".

8. Choose the "Transport Settings" tab.

9. Edit the "Max wait-time for HTTP response (in milliseconds)" field.

10. Click "Save" to save the settings.

============================================================================================

but in my Transport Settings are no "May wait-Time for HTTP response-field"

what is the problem? i have an SAP CRM IDES System with Netweaver 7.1

do I need to install an sp?

I also found this solution for my read time out problem:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/TechTSG/%28WSR%29Problems-P01

but this solution with "Visual Administrator" is for java stack, right?

thank you for your help!

kind regards

sven möller

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

can anyone help me?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

I just have a couple more suggestions, otherwise I'm stumped:

but the system worked long on this change process

How long did this take?

You could try turning on the ICF Recorder using the 'Request & Response' radio button for the user you're using in SoapUI (Google for correct usage on help.sap.com). This will log the request as it came in from SoapUI and the reponse that would be generated by IDES ECC even if SoapUI times out. Then trigger your call from SoapUI. Wait for the response to complete in IDES ECC, by that time SoapUI would have timed out. Then in IDES ECC, display the 'Table Entry' drop down menu option (with the glasses) for the ICF Recording of your SoapUI request + response. Then do a comparison against the logon timestamp & the response timestamp to see how long it actually took. Then maybe try increasing the SoapUI timeout parameter accordingly.

Otherwise, you'll probably need to post another question in maybe the SAP Netweaver Platform forum. They can guide you a bit more on the memory usage & tracing long running transactions. There could be something that helps you to isolate other performance issues. Personally, 5GB swap is unusually high.

Regards, Trevor

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Trevor,

sorry for this late answere.

Your last suggestion gave me the solution. I increased the timeout value a second time and after this I get an response.

Problem: "Empty" response in the WS testing tool soap UI

Solution => soapUI => File => Preferences => HTTP Settings => give the Socket Time out an higher value

Thank you for this help Trevor.

Now I have a further problem (Should I open a new thread? : The webservice give me an error as response. (500 Connection time out)

I searched in the forum to solve this new problem. I think this problem gets in action if an user test his ws in the browser. I'm testing this ws in the tool soap UI.

A nother solution for this error is to increase the time out value in an web dispatcher parameter. I think the SAP Web Dispatcher is not installed on my SAP-System. Do I need this Tool for this time out problem?

I think it will be useful when we from Sybase (swat Sybase<=> SAP, mobility ) gets an personal contact from SAP who has expirence with sap ws.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

Sorry for my late reply. I would suggest posting a new thread in the SOA forum:

[;

Please ensure to provide as much detail as possible on your landscape setup & how (including which tools) you're doing your test. It could be a simple thing like you (with SoapUI) being behind a proxy that might be blocking your request...

If I may also make another suggestion, I don't personally feel that the SAP Web Dispatcher (timeout) is causing this issue. Even if it is, in the IDES environment, you have almost no flexibility to change anything. The other thing that's confusing me, the Enterprise Service that you're using shouldn't be long running at all if it's just changing a customer's details.

I personally avoid the IDES setup & instead use the SAP ES Workplace setup to evaluate any SAP Enterprise Service if I don't have direct access to it. I think the SAP & Sybase teams collaborate extensively but they may be just driving this in the labs currently, but you're right, it would be very useful.

Best Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor

i increased the socket time out value in soap UI to 18000 (3min) but it didn't worked.

both webservices have the "same" configuration.

my way to configure a web service is:

=> lunch soamanager

=> Application and Scenario Communication

=> Single Service Administration

=> search for service and "Apply Selection"

=> configuration

=> Create Service

- give values (Service Name/Description/Binding Name)

- activate Transport Channel Authentication

=> Save

if this wrong or not enough i would kindly ask you to give me a right "default configuration" and some information about it

i checked the rights from my user on this way

=> transaction BP

=> changed the name of an bupa and it worked (but the system worked long on this change process)

i also tested the webservice with the user SAP*

by the way i have a nother question: how can i configure my memory usage for my sap system? i have 12GB ram and the system uses still 5GB swap space. is this normal?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor

i doing my internship at sybase an sap company.

so i work with an sap crm ides system which was installed by me.

my exercise is to develop a mobile applikation with sap web services. the software for this is sup (sybase unwired platform).

i'm testing my services with the "soapUI" tool.

the service "CustomerCRMByIDQueryResponse_In" worked but the service to Change a Customer gets this time out exception.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

There could be several reasons for this timeout but seeing as this is an IDES System things should generally work fine (it's not always the case though).

I would suggest increasing the socket timeout on SoapUI & then test the webservice again. If you are unsure of how to do this just Google 'SoapUI Test Case Socket Timeout' or something similar. You first need to create a test suite/case & then you can control the socket timeout on SoapUI.

Just in case, I would also check that the webservice service is configured correctly by launching transaction code SOAMANAGER from the IDES CRM & searching for this service (look for the change customer service under service providers). Just verify that all endpoint configuration is correct.

I would also verify if you have the necessary authorizations (for your IDES login user) to change a customer.

Lastly, I would setup a trace/recording using the ICF Recorder for your IDES login user (Google 'SAP ICF Recorder' for correct usage). Turn on the recorder to trace your incoming request in IDES & trace the outgoing response from IDES.

You could also try viewing Transaction Codes ST11 & ST22 that trace incoming requests into the IDES Application Server. This may highlight any authorization related issues.

Best Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

Please provide a bit more detail on your scenario.

SAP CRM IDES is your service provider right? How are you testing this webservice, using an SOAP testing tool?

I need to understand your scenario better & I don't think SAP Note 826419 is relevant for you.

Best Regards, Trevor